6.17.2014

Noah's 6th Birthday Letter

How did this little guy...


 

 
 ...grow up and turn into this big guy?

Last Day of School
Last Day of School
Kindergarten Graduation
Kindergarten Graduation
I remember when I opened all of my baby shower gifts, all the moms would write something like, "Don't blink your eyes. They grow up so fast!" or "Treasure every single moment." They weren't kidding. The past six years have gone by so quickly, and although I loved his baby years, Noah is more and more fun with each passing year. I hope I always feel like that! I treasure the relationship we have, and I really adore this kid. So, without further ado, here is my letter to my first born son.

Dear Noah,
Six years old. Six. How did this happen? I don't know where the time has gone or how you grew up so fast, but I'll tell you this. The past six years have been the best years of my life. Before you were born, I was living a life focused on myself and what I wanted, needed, and desired. Your dad and I had a lot of fun together after we got married, but it was you who brought us even closer to one another. We became a family when you were born. We stopped choosing ourselves and started choosing you. For three years, it was just the three of us, and we had SO much fun.

Since that time, you have become a big brother not only to Liam but to Tucker, as well. We tell you all of the time, but I want to write it in this letter, too. God chose you specifically to be the oldest brother in our family. He knew how well you would rise as a leader. He knew how you would model kindness, compassion, honesty, obedience, and discipline. God knew that you would show your brothers how much you love Him. You model true unconditional love for all of us, and we all benefit from knowing you. Your daddy and I are so thankful that God chose you to be our first son. You've helped us learn how to be better parents. You've taught us how important it is to apologize when we make mistakes. You've given us courage to talk about our faith. You've helped our hearts become more like our Father's.

The past year has been one I'll never forget! A year ago, you, Liam, and I were taking trips to the Children's Museum, having play dates, and swimming with friends while your dad was at work. We were waiting for Tucker's LOA, and you saw me crying in desperation to your dad one afternoon when I thought it would never come. True to form, you colored me a beautiful picture and wrapped your arms around me, assuring me that everything would be ok. Then you started kindergarten and just amazed me! Noah, before I knew it, you were reading and writing sentences and really growing in your knowledge and skills. In October, you were so strong and courageous as we said our goodbyes before we left for China. I remember having lunch with you at school the a couple days before we left, and I was just holding back the tears. I didn't know how I would be away from you for so long. I know I cried the entire way home that day. I think this pictures really captures how relieved I was to have my arms around you again when we got home!

October 25, 2014
When Tucker first came home, it was a hard transition for all of us, but it was you, Noah, who showed us that we were a family before I felt like we were. You had patience, compassion, tenderness, and real love for Tucker from day one. We made fun memories throughout the year, and one of my favorites was staying overnight in different hotels over spring break.

Pizza in South Bend
Soon after you started swimming lessons, and the progress you made was incredible! You went from not being able to doggy paddle to jumping off the diving board and swimming to the side of the pool on your first day. I was blown away! You made the decision that you were ready to learn, and you worked hard those two weeks. Your became more confident and had so much fun with Coach Chase. You have two more weeks of lessons in July, and I can't wait to see how much more you progress.

As soon as you finished swim lessons in April, you began playing coach pitch baseball. When you spent a lot of the first game daydreaming and playing in the field, I wasn't sure if you were ready to really focus and play baseball. However, you quickly showed me how wrong I was. You got super focused, started making plays in the field, and grew strong and stronger at bat. Your dad and I had so much fun watching you play this year! I already can't wait until next summer.



Noah, I am so proud of you. I am proud of your heart. I am proud of your mind. I am proud of the way you use God's gifts for good. I love how much you love Jesus. I love how serious and sensitive you are. I love how focused and driven you can be. I love that we can sit down and have a real heart-to-heart conversation together, and then ten minutes later, we can go play classic Nintendo games together and conquer Zelda. I love that you invite me into your world and your interests, and you share your feelings with me. I hope that never changes...that it never stops. I hope that I always create a space where you can be yourself and share your heart with me. I hope that in 12 years, you will be a man who still displays all of these wonderful attributes that you have today. I am so thankful that I get to be your mom. It's a privilege knowing you, playing with you, and living life with you. I love you, Noah! Happy 6th Birthday.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS