3.04.2014

Easter 2014: Passion into Action

Over the past 18 months, our family has experienced a total shift in thinking. Like many Americans, for years we busied ourselves with our day-to-day lives: wake up, eat breakfast, get ready for work, take the kids to daycare/school, work all morning, eat lunch, work all afternoon, pick up the kids, eat dinner, spend time with the kids, put them to bed, and relax for a couple hours before falling asleep and doing the same thing the next day. We spent time with friends and family, went to church, participated in small group, donated our money, and helped others from time-to-time. For the most part, our life was "normal."

Many times, I questioned the life I was living. I looked around at our culture, and in many ways, my life reflected what I saw around me. Aren't we, as Christians, supposed to be living a life that looks different from our culture? Aren't we supposed to be shining a light and being salt of the Earth? What was I really contributing to this world? Then God did the most incredible thing I have ever experienced in my life.

He spoke.

God asked us to adopt one of the 147+ million orphans in the world. On July 19, 2013, everything changed. Our adoption journey was the most incredible, beautiful, difficult, heart wrenching experience of my life. Through the past year, I have realized that God has asked me to be different, to shine a light, to be salt of the Earth, and contribute to this world in the realm of ORPHAN CARE. This is the passion that God has put in my heart.

Now that we've been home with Tucker for 4 months, I've been trying to figure out what to do next. Clinging to God the past 18 months has been unlike anything I've ever experienced, and I'm left only wanting more and more of Him. And not only do I want more of Him, but I want the people around us to experience a life-changing movement like we have. My heart's desire is to see other people turn their PASSION INTO ACTION. When the body of Christ acts on what God has put in their hearts, real, meaningful change can take place.

Orphans come home.

People receive life saving medications.
 
Women and children are freed from sex trade.
 
Men are able to provide for their families.
 
Starvation no longer claims the lives of 26,000 children each day.

NO ONE CAN DO EVERYTHING, BUT WE ALL CAN DO SOMETHING. - Max Lucado
 
It is time to for all of us to question what we are doing with our time here. Don't we all want made a contribution to the world before our time is over?
 
This year for Easter, I want to invite you to participate in a Forget the Frock event in order to put your passion into action. Rather than spending money on new Easter dresses and suits, I want to give you the opportunity to wear something that really matters on Easter Sunday because Change Starts with One (front of shirt). If we each start contributing to the world outside ourselves, we can do something that really matters. "Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know and holds us responsible to act" -Proverbs 24:12 (back of shirt). Imagine going to church and seeing the body of Christ united together wearing these shirts, making a commitment to each other to put their passion into action. It is then and only then will we make a difference in this world.
 
Mint Green

Orange

Yellow
The shirts are available in adult crew and women's fit ($17), youth crew ($13), and toddler crew styles ($13), as well as in all three colors. If you need your shirt shipped, the price is increases $2 (toddler and youth) and $3 for adult shirts. This will hopefully allow $5 profit for every toddler and youth shirt sold and $10 profit for every adult shirt sold if we sell at least 75 shirts. Please see the PayPal Button on the right side of my blog to order your shirts! I've created drop down boxes to make ordering very easy. If you have questions, just email me!
 
Listed below, you will find five different organizations that are striving to make this world a better place. They address medically fragile orphans in China, sex slavery, members of the US military, people in need of clean drinking water, and orphans in Guatemala. For every shirt that you purchase, you can vote for the organization you want to receive the proceeds of this fundraiser (also a drop down box when ordering). As you read about each one, feel free to turn on this video, as the message supports what I've written.


International Justice Mission: This organization was founded in 1997 in response to the Bible's call to justice: Seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow (Isaiah 1:17). International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that brings rescue to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation, and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to secure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to ensure that public justice systems - police, courts and laws - effectively protect the poor. IJM seeks to restore to victims of oppression the things that God intends for them: their lives, their liberty, their dignity, and the fruits of their labor. Check out of video HERE.

Love Without Boundaries: This organization began in 2003 after a group of adoptive parents came together to help save the life of one tiny boy in China. LWB provides humanitarian aid to orphans and impoverished children in China through education, foster care, healing homes (homes for orphans with serious medical issues), medical attention (hospitalizations and surgical procedures), nutrition, and orphanage assistance. Check out a video HERE.

Charity Water: This organization was founded in 2007 and is on a mission to bring clean and safe drinking water to every person on the planet. They have funded 11,430 water projects in 22 countries. One hundred percent of donations are used to fund water projects, as private donors supply all of their administrative costs. They have pictures and GPS coordinates on Google Maps so that people can feel confident that the projects were completed. Local partners also work to build and maintain the projects. Check out videos HERE.

Wish for Our Heroes: This organization was founded in 2009 to assist men and women who are in active duty military in the United States. Their mission is to address the toll that war takes on families back home, because small issues can spiral into larger issues that lead to negative outcomes for military families. The first wish ever granted provided $3,200 for a family to have automobile repairs and another $1,000 in H-E-B grocery gift cards. You can read about many other wishes granted here. One hundred percent of all donations goes directly to awarding wishes to these men and women.

Village of Hope: This organization is part of a larger ministry called Lifesong for Orphans. Their purpose is to provide family, faith, and a future through a holistic approach to orphans with special needs, especially those living with HIV/AIDS. Their hope is to create a family unit as God intended: to provide life-long support and to teach children Christian life values. Because international adoptions from Guatemala are closed, there is little hope that these children will be adopted. This organization is one way people can get involved in long-term orphan care. Check out a video HERE.
 
I cannot wait to see the results of this fundraiser. I am so excited to see which organization is chosen to receive the proceeds and how each your families put your passions into action!

Size Links:
 
 
***We are no longer accepting orders. I am placing the order for these shirts on tomorrow morning, March 25th. It will take the company 7-9 days to get me the shirts, and then I sort them and ship them out. You should receive them the week of April 7th with plenty of time for Easter on April 20th. Thank you for participating in this campaign!!

15 comments:

*Overflowing* said...

Amy....can you tell me what brand the women's shirts are and how they fit?? wearechinabound @ gmail .com LOVE this!! Choosing a ministry will be virtually impossible, though.

Jamie Zenteno said...

This is amazing!!

I'm telling my husband now :)

amazed by you Photography said...

Just ordered 2 shirts! One for my husband and one for me. We surely will be decked out for church with them on. Thanks for doing this and making a difference! :)

Emily Fox said...

Amy! This is wonderful. We are so excited to see people using your shirt to FORGET THE FROCK! Be sure to keep us updated over on the FORGET THE FROCK FB PAGE and www.forgetthefrock.org

We want to celebrate with you and add you and your people to the Movement!

FORGET THE FROCK has raised over $50,000 in the last three years and God is blowing us away with participation from around the country this year! So blessed you want to be a part of it!!!

The FORGET THE FROCK Team

Jennifer Gibson said...

Can I still order?? It's morning on the 25th. Just saw your blog post through Pinterest yesterday. We are a family of 4 whose motto is "Love is a Verb"

Kaitlyn Porter said...

I just came to order my shirt and realized that there was a deadline. Is it too late? Thanks!
Kaitlyn P.
Kaitlynrporter @ gmail.com

Grace said...

I missed the opportunity, too. I know it's too late for Easter but if you would be willing to put a second order together later, I'd be interested! I think I found the link from the LL China FB group. Thanks!

christina reppert said...

I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago but haven't received the shirt yet. Wondering if something happened with the transaction? Chris Reppert Sevierville, Tn

Amy said...

Orders were placed 3/25/14 and should be received at the end of this week. I will mail them out to buyers ASAP...and they should arrive in everyone's mailboxes the week of April 7. Thanks for our patience!

Lisa said...

Hi Amy! I just found your blog and I'm so sad that I missed ordering one of these shirts. I would love to order if you order more, or if you have an extra I can make it disappear :) I love the design and especially the verse on the back. Thanks so much!!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry, but I didn't order any extra shirts! We sold 434, and they all went out this week. Hopefully we will do it again next year!!

Lisa said...

I'm sad that I missed it--I love your design! I ordered mine from feeding the orphans, so I'm still participating, but I'd like to have one of these too! Maybe next year! :)

Lisa said...

Please let me know if you decide to order any more shirts- I really love mine and would like love to order more! The message is so beautiful!

Amy said...

Lisa, I will definitely let you know! Thank you!!