6.14.2013

We Stand in Awe...


I sit here, wanting to write something phenomenal, something beautiful, something that gives you a sense of the gratitude I feel in my heart for what you have done for our family.

You have prayed relentlessly for us.
 
You have encouraged us when the wait has crippled our spirits.
 
You have celebrated when an adoption milestone was met.
 
You have given financially when we asked for help in bringing Tucker home.
 
You cheered when we met our fundraiser goal of $5,000.
 
You continued to give even AFTER we met our goal.

I stand in awe. I stand in silent wonder at the blessings you have given our family, especially those given in the last EIGHT days. Never in a million years did I expect to complete this fundraiser in eight days. We hoped to raise the money in 60 days, all the while praying not for money but for God to stir the hearts of those around us to love the least of these. God answered our prayer, and one hundred twenty-one families provided us with $5,305 to bring our son home!!!
 
"I will not leave you as orphans. I will come to you." (John 14:18)
From very early on in our adoption journey, I have felt very strongly about doing a small fundraiser. I wanted to give people the opportunity to contribute to something positive, something powerful, and something that would bring so much glory to God! I want Tucker to know someday that we aren't the only ones who longed for him and prayed for him to come home. I feel very strongly that people are more invested in a situation when they are participating in some way. This fundraiser has hopefully helped many of you feel part of our journey. Caring for orphans - be it through sponsorship, hosting, paying for medical treatment, adoption, foster care - is something the Bible addresses.

"Pure and undefiled religion is the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)

"Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and destitute." (Psalm 82:3)

When God asked me to adopt one of His children, I begged God to take it back. I cried out to God, "Please do not ask me to do this! I am scared. I don't want to do this!" Adoption was something I always thought about and considered, but when God actually spoke to my heart and said, "This is what I'm asking you to do," I wanted to run the other way! But I knew...oh I knew that everything leading up to that very moment was for this purpose. I wanted my life to be the way I pictured it. Adopting a child with a cleft lip/cleft palate wasn't part of that dream. I didn't want to see a child struggle through the recovery of multiple surgeries. I didn't want to be heartbroken while my baby was laying on a surgical table while surgeons worked to repair his/her smile. I didn't want it...any of it.

But then we said yes. We said yes to God and His plan for our lives, and I've never felt such peace about anything in my life. I can say without a doubt that following God's plan for my life has brought more joy, more blessings, and more love than I ever would have had without following Him.

When we were asked to consider "Reaves" from our agency's website, I was so confused and even a little angry because he did NOT have a cleft lip or a cleft palate. Our agency knew the desires of our heart...they knew what we felt called to do. As we read his medical file, watched his video, and stared at his pictures, it no longer mattered that he didn't have a cleft lip or a cleft palate. We had peace...pure and complete peace...that he was our son.

Sometimes I think God asks us to do something just to see if we will obey His calling. Then, we step out in faith, He doesn't make us follow through. God knew our hearts. He knew that we were 100% invested in His plan for our lives. And in the end, His plan led us straight to our son...straight to Tucker.

What I never considered before taking this journey is that WE ARE ADOPTED! God could have chosen any way to bring us back to Him. God could have rescued us without becoming our Father. However, God chose to make us part of his FAMILY through adoption. We have been adopted through Christ! Our adoption defines who we are and to what family we belong. This video so perfectly portrays what I'm trying to say. I hope you will watch it!
 

So many of you have considered adoption, foster care, and sponsorship in the past, and I really want to encourage you to keep praying and keep learning about it. If financing an adoption is the only thing preventing you from diving in and taking a leap of faith, I want you to remember this fundraiser. Remember that in EIGHT days, 121 donations totaling $5,305 were made to help our family bring our son home. In the Adoption Community, I see people raise more money than you can imagine to help bring their children home. If this is something God has called you to do, I am confident that He will give you all of the support you need - be it financial, emotional, or otherwise - to bring your child home. For now, know that I am praying for all of you, praising God for stirring your hearts, and thanking each and every one of you for helping us bring our son home. We cannot wait to pay forward $5,000 to another adoptive family and extend the blessings you have so richly given us. We love you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS