3.04.2013

Thirty

Last year when I turned the big THREE ZERO, I had no idea what an adventure God had planned for my thirtieth year of life. Since making the decision to adopt, I have often wondered why God picked that time in our lives to finally ask. Why did He wait until I was 30 to ask us to do this?

Once we chose China as the country from where we would adopt, I immediately learned that you had to be 30 years old to adopt from there. Coincidence? I don't think so. :)

I was thinking again last week about how my entire life, I would ask God His opinion about different things. God, what do you think about me going to Hanover College? God, what do you think about me marrying Ryan? God, should I go to IU for graduate school? God, where should I accept my first internship and job? God, do you think it's an ok time to have kids? I was the one asking Him questions, and He was the one giving me answers. Sometimes those answers came in the form of peace beforehand, and sometimes I had affirmation only after I made the decision.

Then I wondered...why did God wait THIRTY years to ask me to do anything for Him? I mean, He asks us to obey our parents, love one another, give with a joyful heart, etc. We know he asks of those things because they are in His Word. But, why did He wait 30 years to ask me a direct question to adopt one of his beautiful children?

I've talked about this with my friend, Dalia, several times, and last week, she surprised me with something. While completing Beth Moore's Bible study about David, she learned that David began his reign over Israel when he was THIRTY years old.

"David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years" (2 Samuel 5:4)
 
David, who was introduced in the Bible as a small, young child, yet God gave him courage to defeat a GIANT and who later was one of the greatest kings in the Bible. His reign began at THIRTY.
 
Then, while having dinner with our friends Casey and Kerri last night, I was sharing this story. Casey then shared that Jesus began His ministry when he was THIRTY years old. I was speechless! The most incredible, blameless, loving man to ever live began His greatest work at THIRTY years old. Incredible!
 
"When Jesus began his ministry he was about thirty years of age." (Luke 3:23)
 
I decided to do a bit more research to see if any other great figures from the Bible had also started something at THIRTY years old, and sure enough, there is at least one more. Joseph began his work for Pharoah interpreting his dreams at the age of THIRTY years old.
 
"Joseph was thirty years old when he entered the service of Pharaoh, king of Egypt." (Genesis 41:46)
 
I don't know where God is leading us in our journey to adopt in China. Knowing that these 3 men each began to live a HUGE part of God's plan for their lives at the age of THIRTY gives me such much excitement! I do believe this is the tip of the iceberg for our family. I believe that adopting this little boy is just the beginning for us. It is my hope and prayer to help people be exposed to REAL situations that orphans face today. In our country, it is all too easy to get wrapped up in waking up, eating breakfast, going to work, having lunch, working all afternoon, going home, eating dinner, watching our favorite TV shows, and going to bed. We think about getting that next big item - an iPad, a new car, a bigger house - and we forget to search for our PURPOSE in life.
 
We only get to live once.
 
Once.
 
What do you want to do with your time here?  I want to give this little boy (and hopefully other children) a family and unconditional love, while meeting his spiritual, emotional, and physical needs.
 
Beyond that, though, I want to INSPIRE people to take a leap of faith and join hundreds of other families who are taking this amazing journey of adoption.
 
I want to LEAD people through this process.
 
I want to ENCOURAGE people as they navigate the emotional and difficult path of adoption.
 
I want to EDUCATE people about how to help orphans if they don't feel lead to adopt.

I want God to use my life and my experiences to AWAKEN others to follow His word.
 
"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." (John 14:18)

 
People have always said that your THIRTIES are the best years of your life. I'm beginning to think they are right. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS