7.01.2011

Must. Have. Sleep. - Part 2

So apparently all I needed to do to get Liam to sleep all night was blog about it! That night he went 8 hours between feedings, giving me 7 full hours of consecutive sleep. I ran into his room feeling rested and rejuvenated and kissed him a hundred times while saying "thank you, thank you, thank you" over and over again. The only thing I did differently that day was make sure I drank a full glass of water between each feeding. I'm not sure if that is what made the difference, but either way, I'm continuing to drink water to that degree. The only other "method" we use is Babywise's recommendation to follow an eat, awake, sleep routine. When Liam first wakes up, I feed him right away. Then, he has awake time for an additional 30-60 minutes. Once he starts fussing, I know he is tired, so I put him down for a nap. He will sleep anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I never let more than 3 hours pass by between feedings in order to make sure he's eating a lot during the day so that he won't need to wake up at night to eat.

Like I said in my last post, something like 96% of boys who follow this routine start sleeping all night between 7-9 weeks old. Tuesday night he went 9 hours between feedings, which meant 8 hours of sleep for me! I was dancing with excitement that morning! Wednesday night, he went 7 hours between feedings, and I got several things accomplished between 5:45 and 8:00 a.m. while the boys finished sleeping. For the first time, I understood why so many parents get up really early. You have some quiet time and can be productive if you'd ilke without several interruptions! Thursday night, Liam went 8 hours between feedings, which again meant 7 hours of sleep or me. I am hopeful that this might be our new pattern but realize that we will have our "off" nights.

Of course, I know I'm doing everything I can to help Liam sleep at night, but really God gets all the credit! He's the one who answered my prayers. Along with my own prayers, I know my friend Dalia, my mother-in-law, and Jennie Byers (an awesome woman from our church!)...maybe even others...were also praying with me. The Bible says that "The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective" (James 5:16), and I know that God heard the prayers of these righteous women. Thank you!!

Liam, I want to thank you for being such a good sleeper! I know I can be an even better mommy to you now that I am better rested. I love seeing you grow and cannot wait to get to know you more and more as the days, the weeks, the months, and the years go by. I love you!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS