7.11.2011

Making Life Easier

I love my family beyond anything I ever could have imagined! I mean, can you blame me? Look how cute they are!


We like to do lots of fun things together like....


...go to the Strawberry Festival and eat delicious ribeye steak sandwiches and corn on the cob!


...go to PBS Kids at the Park downtown to meet Wyatt from Super Why!


...make silly faces!


...make cheeser faces!


...go to Vacation Bible School with grandparents and swim in their pool!


...snuggle with each other!


...go to Poison/Motley Crue concerts!

Natalie, Lila, Jude, Daisy, Dominic, and Liam
...and go to my parents 4th of July party and introduce the 6 newest cousins to each other!

With that said, I am always trying to find ways to make the "must do" things more efficient in order to have more time to enjoy the "want to do" things! Here is my latest and greatest idea that has literally changed my life.

Everyday, I found myself asking the question, "What should we eat for dinner?" My mind would quickly become overwhelmed with the million items in my freezer, fridge, and pantry, as well as all the options of things to make. Did I have the right ingrediants? How much time do I have to actually cook? I know a lot of people have found success with a weekly menu, but I still felt overwhelmed by making a plan like that for the week. There are just too many options! I asked myself how we could have a plan while still not being overwhelmed by the options.

I had a HUGE aha moment a few weeks ago. I decided the best way to approach our meals is to have each night have a different theme. Here are our themes:

Sunday: Meat and veggie
Monday: Breakfast for dinner
Tuesday: Meat and veggie
Wednesday: Pasta night
Thursday: Sandwich, salad, soup, or wrap night
Friday: Go out to eat/leftovers
Saturday: Go out to eat/leftovers

I have stuck to this plan for three weeks, and it has made choosing dinner SO much easier! We still have a lot of variety in our meals - more than we've ever had. I just have to look at what I have around the house and/or grab a few things at the store to have everything I need. Everyone asks me, "What about Mexican night?" We aren't huge Mexican food people, but it would be easy to incorporate that into your meal planning. I love that when I ask myself, "What should we have for dinner?" all I have to do is remember what day of the week it is and think of meals related to that theme. It's MUCH easier for me to plan that way!

Now I have much more time to do all the fun things we try to squeeze into a day with Ryan and the boys!

2 comments:

eme621 said...

Amy, we do this except we have mexican night, italian night, crockpot night, grill night, chicken night, beef night, left over night, etc. I'm glad it's working for you!

Emily

Carlene Cooks said...

I like that idea, even an old dog like me can learn new tricks. Thanks for the ahah moment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS