5.03.2011

40 Weeks


We hit the 40 week mark yesterday, and my due date of May 2nd came and went! I've never been pregnant this long (we had Noah at 38 weeks), and to be honest, it has been quite an experience. For those of you who read this blog often, you know my feelings about due dates being plus or minus two weeks. Sometimes I can get frustrated with people for saying they were "late" when in fact having a baby after 40 weeks is completely normal. Well, friends, let me be the first to tell you that while I still feel that having a baby after 40 weeks is completely normal, I now have sympathy for women who are still pregnant past 40 weeks. At 37 weeks, you are considered "full term," and the baby would be born completely ready for the world! So, at 37 weeks, part of you starts to prepare and think, "Ok, the baby could come anytime now and be ok!" So, after having those thoughts for 3 weeks, I've started to have some fear creep into my mind. Will I go into labor on my own? Will the baby be ok? I had a friend from college lose her baby at 37 weeks gestation, and as much as you try not to think about it, the reality is there - it happened to her and could happen to me, too. When those moments hit, I find myself in prayer and remembering that Satan loves to attack us through fear and doubt in ourselves. Knowing that this baby and the timeline for his birth are in God's hands - that He is in control, and I want what He wants - is all it takes to push those fears away and to feel His light surround me. I do feel more humbled now that I know what it's like to be pregnant after your due date and am thankful to be experiencing that emotion!

With all of that said, I truly feel great physically! I am more tired and a bit uncomfortable in the evenings, but after a full night's rest, I feel rejuvenated and ready for the day. I haven't had the thought "Get this baby out of me! I can't take it anymore!" I really feel ok. Of course, I'm ready to know how my labor will begin...ready to know what my labor will be like...ready to know how the delivery will go...and ready to meet my new son! However, I'm being patient and trying to stay positive through some of those "down" moments that I've had the past week. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, and I'm hopeful that I've made some progress in preparation for the big event. I did plenty of walking today with my friend Dalia, her daughter Ava, and Noah today at the Children's Museum, which has brought on many more contractions than what I've had in previous days. Maybe just maybe they are getting me somewhere. Either way, God willing, we will meet this little guy no later than May 16th! Then we can reveal his cute little name, share his birth story, and start our lives as a family of four!!

Ryan and I have really been on a high in terms of our connection in our marriage. We have both put a lot of effort into taking care of each other the past few months, and I know it has helped us build a foundation as we prepare for the big transition that lies ahead. I don't know that I've ever felt closer to him in the 10 years we've been together! I can't wait to see him be a father to this little boy that has been growing and stretching in my belly for the past 40 weeks. I fell in love with him even more after Noah was born, and I know I'll be smitten all over again, taking our relationship to the next level. How exciting is that?!

As for Noah, my sweet boy, I get choked up thinking about how much he means to me. It's truly like seeing your own heart exist outside your body. He has the sweetest, most tender soul, and at the same time, his energy and spirit are both so happy, silly, and playful! I know he is going to be a great big brother, and my hope and dream for these boys is that they are the best of friends, forever and always being in each others' corners, loving each other, and taking care of each other. You know, when you have kids, I think it really gives you the opportunity to prioritize what you want most out of life. And I have to tell you, if at the end of my life, my boys love the Lord, have been safe from harm, and are happy with their lives, it will be all that I've ever wanted and more. Noah, I'm hoping someday you'll read these blogs I've written about our lives together - you, me, and your daddy - and I hope you can feel how much I love you, that you know I would do anything for you, and that you understand how easy it would be for me to give up my life for you. I love you and your daddy beyond anything I have ever known, and I can't wait to move into this next stage of life together, with your little brother baby brother joining us in this journey we call life. And as for you, little baby boy, keep growing strong, and know that your daddy and I will love you, take care of you, and provide for you in every way we know how. I can't wait to meet you!

1 comment:

Carlene Cooks said...

Good luck Amy. You have such a testimony of our Savior, I know that will sustain you in the days ahead.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS