Easter Sunday 2011

Happy Easter everyone! I hope you have had a wonderful time celebrating this special day with those you love most. We've had a really nice weekend! I always had this feeling that the baby would make his appearance April 23-24th - looks like I was off this time. :) Friday night I went and saw Water for Elephants with my friends Jessica and Claire at 9:55 p.m. because I was worried if I didn't see it then, I wouldn't get to see it for awhile. I napped from 7:30-9:15 p.m. and then drove to the theatre. The movie was REALLY good! I read the book last summer and loved it, so seeing it come to life on the big screen was a lot of fun. What made things a little more exciting that night was that I was having contractions about every 3 minute for nearly the entire movie. They felt low and crampy and made my back ache a bit. Only a couple times were the contractions so strong that I lost focus on the movie for about a minute each time. I really thought that was it - we were going into labor! I got home around 12:30 a.m. and woke Ryan up to tell him that we needed to pack our hospital bags (finally). We were both getting excited but went to bed as quickly as we could in order to rest up for what would maybe become the big show.

Turns out, it was a little show. My contractions slowed down and eventually stopped in the middle of the night. Ryan woke me up around 4:30 a.m. to let me know he was getting ready to go on his 18 mile run, and I realized I had slept all night without waking up to contractions. I have to admit, I was disappointed. Mentally I felt really strong before going to bed as I prepared for what we hope would be an intervention-free birth. I was praying to God that I have the strength that Jesus had on Good Friday over 2,000 years ago - the strength to endure the most physically painful/intense day of his life in order to benefit all of those who place faith in him. When I was in labor with Noah, I remember the experience being very spiritual. God had designed my body perfectly to bring this baby into the world. He provided breaks between contractions so that I could recover and prepare for the next one. Pregnancy itself is a sacrifice - you sacrifice your health (e.g., 17 weeks of nausea and 3 sinus infections later) and your physical appearance (hello extra 30 pounds strapped to the front of my body!). Then, when it comes time to go through labor and delivery, you again are making emotional, mental, and physical sacrifices all because you love this little person who is about to be born. I loved the idea of having an Easter weekend baby, but I do trust that God knows the best time for this little one to be born. So now we patiently wait.

Noah snuggling with Ryan last week
Fortunately, we had a great weekend that made "waiting" more bearable! Saturday morning my dad and Danette arrived to spend the morning and early afternoon with us. After visiting for a bit, we all went to an Easter egg hunt at St. Barnabas with our friends Jill and Aaron and their two little ones. Two years in a row, I forgot to bring an Easter basket. Seriously, how does a person forget that detail?! Noah put his eggs in my purse, and all was well. We then went and had lunch at BJs Brewhouse - by the way, their Shrimp Scampi Pasta is delicious! Afterwards, we drove back to our house and just played and visited until Noah was ready for his nap. Dad and Danette left shortly after, so Ryan and I laid down for a nap, too. We woke up to Noah walking into our room and scaring us to death! You see, he's not allowed to get out of bed without us either going into his room first or without us talking to him on our new video monitors (love them by the way!). What made things scarier is that he went downstairs first to look for us. Then, when he didn't find us, he came to our room, and by that time, he was scared, too. It freaks me out to think he could have wandered outside without us even knowing! We had a serious talk with him about not leaving his bed when he wakes up, so hopefully we won't see him do that again for a long time!

Last night, my mom and Kent stopped by after their visit with my brother, my sister-in-law, and their new baby, Natalie Alaine. Isn't she gorgeous! I'm so sad that we haven't been able to visit them yet, but I can't wait to see them in their new roles as parents. More than that, though - I can't wait to kiss her little cheeks!! Oh yeah, where was I? Mom and Kent came over and spent a couple hours with us. Noah was playing baseball outside with Kent and Ryan while my mom and I talked and talked and talked. We had such a great visit, and I felt spoiled to see all my parents in one day! We almost got together with Ryan's mom, sister, and her kids, but it just was going to work out well timing-wise.

This morning for Easter, Ryan got up bright and early to go practice the songs before church began. He played at the 8:00 a.m. service (we never have a service at that time but did for Easter) and then came home for a bit and had breakfast with us. Soon after he left to go back for the 9:30 a.m. service, Noah and I also left for church. It was bittersweet because Noah has stayed with me during the music portion since he was born, partially so he can see Ryan play, partially because he enjoys the music so much, and partially because I have selfishly loved snuggling with him while we sing our hearts out! With having another baby, I know it will be too hard to juggle both of them by myself while Ryan is playing. Since today was Ryan's last time playing for several weeks (because of the baby), it will be nice to have his help transitioning Noah into his classroom right when church begins rather than after the music. I'm excited to have the extra time with him now that he'll have a nice break! We don't get to go to church very often together, so I plan to just soak it up!

After church, we came home, had lunch, and played with Noah. I sterilized the tubing, shields, nipples, and bottles for my breast pump (check that off the list!), and then when Noah went down for a nap, so did we. A couple hours later, Noah woke up, and he found Easter eggs hidden around our house, as well as his Easter basket filled with more eggs, the Over the Hedge DVD, and The Hungry Caterpiller book. We watched his new movie and had dinner this even. Now, Noah is playing on the porch with Ryan while I finish this blog. We had a wonderful weekend together! Today marked the 4 year anniversary we have been at Emmanuel, and we are so grateful for the personal growth and new friendships that have resulted from our time there.

I would love your prayers for the continued health of this baby boy! Please pray that we can be patient for God's timing and enjoy these last days/weeks we have as a family of three (plus Kya!). I think I'm going to take Noah to the Children's Museum tomorrow. It will probably be our last time for awhile, and Noah loves it - not to mention it will keep me walking for several hours chasing an almost 3 year old busy boy! Again, I hope you all had a happy Easter! Hopefully I will be blogging soon about the big adventure that lies ahead.

Riding the carousel last time we went to the museum


Carlene Cooks said...

I love reading your blog and hearing about your sweet family. I will pray that all goes well with the birth of your new one.

Sara said...

Happy Easter! I hope you meet your beautiful baby soon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...