1.27.2011

Wine and Canvas

Have you ever heard of Wine and Canvas? My coworker told me about it a few months ago, and when I saw that they were having an event at Stone Creek Dining Company, I thought it was the perfect opportunity for a girl's night. For $35 you get the canvas, paint, brushes, apron, easel, and the instructor's time. They also featured a deal on Living Social recently, where you could sign up for only $17. My friends Jessica and Jackie and I signed up for the session to paint "Fanciful Tree." See this link for their various events - there are different paintings all the time, so you can find one that works for the decor in your house.

They ask that you arrive 30 minutes early, so I got there at 5:30 to make sure we'd be able to sit together. I assumed that maybe 30 people would be there, so I was surprised to see tables set up for 100 people on Monday night! They had wine specials, which unfortunately I could not take advantage of that evening, so we each ordered a salad and an appetizer. After chatting until about 6:30 when everyone had finally arrived, the painting began. Before I knew it, we were splashing bright yellow, orange, and red on our canvas. I honestly thought we would be just relaxing and chatting and painting, but when it came down to it, we really had to focus! It was nice having good friends there and being able to help each other when something didn't look quite right. Our biggest challenge was when things looked just fine, and we needed to stop painting, but we couldn't resist tweaking this or blending that. Yes, that is something we called meddling.

Jessica and me painting (Jackie is to my right)

We took a break to let the background dry a bit and took advantage of the time to relax and hang out for awhile. I count my blessings everyday that I have friends like these two women. I met Jackie in May 2007, and we ran in the Bourbon Chase together in October 2009. I think I met Jessica sometime in 2009, and as our sons and husbands became good friends, we were able to spend more time together, too! They both go to Emmanuel and are the kind of women who push you to keep growing and moving forward. It's friends like these that have helped make Greenwood home for us.

After the break was over, it was time to draw the tree. While it seemed like we spent tons of time on the background, we flew through the tree part! It was fun to paint branches and then add the swirls all over the canvas. By the end of the session, it was 9:30 p.m., and I really felt like we had made some beautiful paintings! I am still trying to decide where to hang ours, but for now, it's sitting on my dresser. Ryan was really impressed with the final product, and when Noah saw it, he said, "Wow, Mommy, that's BEAUTIFUL!" It was precious! I had such a great time with my friends and look forward to going to another Wine and Canvas event again soon!

Jackie, me, and Jessica with our paintings

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS