What a Perfect Week

Really - it was the perfect week. I know I've said it a million times, but I am so fortunate to be able to work part time and stay at home with Noah part time. It's helped to create a lot of balance in my life, and I count my blessings everyday that I get to enjoy this precious time with Noah before he grows up and goes to kindergarten. It did hit me a couple weeks ago that he is 2 1/2 years old now, which means my time with him at home is half over already. It just blows my mind how fast he is growing up!

When I build my schedule, I don't work Thanksgiving week because the kids are so hyper and excited, which makes testing for special education a little more difficult and a little less valid. I enjoyed every single minute of every single day I was home. On Monday we went to visit my mom at the hospital before she had surgery (she's doing great!), and then we went to the mall for a bit. As soon as we got in the door, we ran into my good friend, Leah, her mom, her two boys, and her two nieces. We got to visit with them for a bit, and then Noah got to see Santa for the first time. We didn't do the whole sit-on-Santa's-lap bit because Ryan wasn't with us, but he at least got to see who he was in person. The night before we had bought Noah a Mickey Mouse Saves Santa movie, and that has really helped him make the connection about who this Santa Claus guy really is.

After saying goodbye to our friends, we walked down to Auntie Anne's and bought a soft pretzel and cheese dip to share. We walked down to the play area to burn some energy but ended up not staying very long. I have a pet peeve when parents are too busy chatting with each other to make sure their kids are being nice to other kids. So rather than stew over it, we left and found a little Simon Foundation donation spot where you put in a coin, and it spins round and around until it finally drops into the container. Noah loved that! Then, we went over to the fountain and made some wishes with some more coins. I was truly just enjoying each simple minute we had together. Next we walked over to Build-A-Bear and made a teddy bear for a friend's daughter's birthday. Noah picked it out and enjoyed filling it up with fuzz. On our way out, we say a bright and colorful train that was driving around the mall. I promised Noah we would come back with Ryan and go for a ride on that train!

On Tuesday I took Noah to a play group at Chick-Fil-A for about an hour and hung out with some friends. After a quick trip to Meijer to pick up a few things, we drove back to the hospital to visit my mom, who was doing very well! Noah kept the atmosphere light saying things like, "We must get there before the moon is full!" and "That's the biggest tower I ever saw!" He must get this stuff from cartoons or something. After our visit, we drove down to our church for Noah's Thanksgiving party. He got dressed up like a little indian with the rest of his classmates, and they all had a feast with more pilgrims and indians - classic! I was so glad to have shared that time with him.

After Ryan got home from work, we turned on Tim Allen's The Santa Clause (our traditional let's-decorate-for-Christmas movie 5 years running) and got the decorations out of the attic. Noah was amazed by the tree and all of its lights. We have told Noah that after we turn on the magic, all he has to do is yell "Magic" at the tree, and the lights will turn on. You should've seen his face the first time he did it! PRICELESS. He still enjoys doing it each time we need to turn the tree back on.

Noah watching The Santa Clause in our papasan.
On Wednesday, I decided to start making Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls with Noah. He LOVES cooking and is a great helper, so it was a fun project to work on together. We had to make the dough and let it rise for a few hours that morning. We also survived a trip to Kroger together (thanks to a Mickey Mouse movie on Ryan's video iPod) including dozens of coupons. I spent $44 and saved $72...success!

When Ryan got home from work, we went back to the mall. Ryan was carrying Noah around on his shoulders when Noah spotted the train across the mall. He started squealing and pointing and yelling, "Choo choo, Daddy! Choo choo!" We caught up with the train, bought out tokens, and hopped aboard. As we toured around a couple of the malls' wings, Noah smiled ear-to-ear nonstop. We had so much fun! After a quick stop at the food court for pizza, we drove back home. It was time to finish our cinnamon rolls! I rolled out half of the dough and melted TWO CUPS of butter (yes, that is FOUR sticks!). I poured one cup of butter all over the dough, and Noah helped me spread it out everywhere. Then he poured on the sugar and cinnamon. I rolled up the dough and sliced it into 1 1/2 inch pieces. After repeating those , steps a second time for the other half of the dough, we had over 50 cinnamon rolls!

Thursday brought on another day of baking. We first made our cinnamon rolls with some eggs and bacon, and they were seriously, honest-to-goodness, the best cinnamon rolls I have ever eaten in my entire life! It was the perfect balance of bread and sugary goodness. We took some down to our neighbors and drove some over to our friends, Kevin and Dalia, too. Then we started making Paula Deen's pumpkin pie, which Ryan later said (unprompted) that it was by far the best pumpkin pie he had ever had (Note: I've made different pumpkin pies every year since we've been married). Then, after Noah's nap, we drove up to Ryan's parents' house to celebrate Thanksgiving. He was so well behaved, though wasn't a big fan of turkey unfortunately, and had a great time with his cousins!

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday each brought on more great memories with Noah and Ryan. We really enjoyed every minute we had together. I had to finish some reports for work this evening, so I turned on Nopey-Nope (Pinoccio), and he snuggled in right beside me on the couch. Then tonight, when I was putting himto bed, I got really teary. I am so sad that our week together is over. I had SO much fun! I know our days of having time for just the two of us are numbered, and I think that is partly why I am getting so emotional about it. He is becoming such a neat kid with such a fun personality, and I am going to miss him so much tomorrow when I go to work. Hopefully the day will go quickly, and with three case conferences, it should. I already can't wait to pick him up and play with him tomorrow night. I think we're going to make some Auntie Anne's pretzels together - the dough has risen, and now they just need to be rolled out and baked. I am already looking forward to the 3 weeks of time off that I have over Christmas. It is going to be a really special Christmas this year!


Anonymous said...

I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Have a DYNAMITE day my friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...