8.26.2010

Recipe: Chicken & Dumplings

The other night, I finally decided to cook with my first whole organic chicken. I always LOVE meals that are made with whole chickens, but to be honest, I easily get grossed out by the bones and other yucky things that are found in whole chickens. The idea of eating delicious, hot chicken and dumplings was all the motivation I needed to deal with that whole chicken! Here are the steps - sorry I don't have pictures. We ate it too fast!

1.Add 1 chicken bouillon cube to 2 cups of boiling water in your crock pot.
2. Form 3 foil balls and place them in the crock pot (this prevents the chicken from burning).
3. Take a whole chicken (mostly thawed) and rub it with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Stuff it with some celery and onion.
5. Place the chicken on top of the foil balls.
6. Place extra celery and onion around the chicken in the broth.
7. Heat on high for 1 hour.
8. Heat on low for 6-8 more hours until juices run clear. (I used a basting brush to add some of the broth back onto the top of the chicken).
9. After cooked thoroughly, shred/dice all chicken except breasts (I saved those for another meal).
10. Take broth (strained) from the crock pot and enough water to create 3 cups of liquid and put it in a pot.
11. Add can of cream of celery soup
12. Add chicken, and fresh sliced celery and carrots.
13. Cook on medium.
14. Once the soup is thoroughly warm/rolling boil, add 2-4 refrigerated biscuits (rolled into small balls). The biscuits take 5-8 minutes to cook.
15. Serve hot!! :)

This is a recipe I will surely be making ALL fall and winter long!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS