5.08.2010

Goose Bumps & Chills

We went to church tonight, and during the worship music, I felt waves of chills over and over again, running up and down my body. I honestly think this is one of the best feelings you can ever have, and so many times, I've wondered why and how we get them. I'm sure there is a "scientific" explanation for it - some physiological response to environmental stimuli.

But you want to know what I like to think it is?

I like to think that it's God physically touching us, letting us know He is right there beside us. When I'm singing my heart out about "How He Loves Us" or how "He's Might to Save," and I feel the waves of chills - pure positive energy - running up and down my spine, I love to imagine it's God physically wrapping Himself around me. Sometimes that feeling brings a huge smile to my face. Other times, it brings tears to my eyes.

Either way, it's a feeling that is unique to when I sing worship music, and sometimes I just want to bask it in all day long! It recharges my soul, prepares me for the week, and helps me to release the hurt, the worry, and the pain in my heart.

God fulfills me.

He satisfies my soul.

I can't think of anything else that this world provides that kind of peace. So many people feel fine. They like their lives and are generally happy - but, they still have a sense that something is missing. There is a sense that something greater exists or that there has to be a purpose to this life - something bigger than themselves. Richard Roll put it best when he said:

"Since the human soul is capable of receiving God alone, nothing less than God can fill it; which explains why lovers of earthly things are never satisfied."

Thanks to Emmanuel Church of Greenwood, my relationship with God continues to grow everyday. I don't know where I would be had I not been invited to attend the Easter service 3 years ago. I just left church and already can't wait for next Sunday to hear what Pastor Danny will say next and to feel chills and goosebumps during the beautiful, worship music. Each weekend, I know there is no place I'd rather be.

1 comment:

Joe Chamberlain said...

Great post. I feel the same thing a lot. I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS