2.15.2010

A New Bible Study Group

After taking about 9 months off from our last Small Bible Study Group, Ryan and I decided to join a new group with some friends. Dalia, Kevin, Patty, and Mark all ran the Bourbon Chase with us, and we had already met Natalie and Brock once before. It has turned out to be a really great group! Kevin and Brock are both pilots, so we usually plan our meetings month-to-month, which has actually been kind of nice. I like that it changes, sometimes falling on Friday nights, Sunday afternoons, or a week night, for example. Ryan has taken a 6 week break from playing guitar at church, and I have really enjoyed the extra time with him! Our church is getting ready to go to a Saturday evening service, so once March arrives, Ryan is going to be really busy with playing in the band again. I'm a little overwhelmed by the time commitment of playing 3 services each weekend, plus having practice during the week, but the Saturday service is just a 12 week trial period. I'm trying to view it as just that - a trial. I guess we'll see how things go!

Back to our small group.

We had everyone over a couple weeks ago for our meeting. Noah goes to bed at 7 p.m., so it was perfect. We put him to bed and then enjoyed the rest of the evening with our friends. I made some snacks and brownies, and despite the big snow storm we were having, everyone made it to our house. We are doing a study right now called iMarriage by Andy Stanley. It's pretty good! We've talked about how a lot of our desires going into a marriage (e.g., type of house, division of chores, how often you take a vacation) turn into expectations. Then when those expectations aren't fulfilled, you feel resentment, anger, and cheated by your spouse. It was supposed to be different. Yeah, we've all been there. Recently, we also talked about the whole idea of submission in the Bible. Ephesians 5:22-24 states, "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." As someone who feels close ties with the feminist movement, this one has always been difficult for me. Why should I submit? I am just as good as a man. Well, something finally clicked for me at our last meeting. The answer lies in Ephesians 5:21: "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Did you catch that? "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Reverence means the feeling of deep respect or devotion. So, I am supposed to submit to Ryan because of the deep respect that I have for God. Now that makes much more sense to me. I tend to be outspoken and dominant in many situations, and ever since I decided to put more effort into submitting to Ryan, I have felt this strange sense of freedom. Additionally, I have felt even more respect for him. It's pretty awesome!

After we finished the formal study, we all hung out, talking, eating, and playing video games. Here are some great pictures from the night.

Mark, Ryan, and Kevin "concentrating"

Not really sure...

Mark, Patty, Ryan, and Kevin playing Wii

I am really looking forward to growing spiritually with this group of people! They truly are some of the most fun, encouraging, kind, hilarious people I have ever met.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE and I'm so thankful for our small group!! :o)
Dalia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS