12.25.2009

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD!

I don't know about you, but one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving and Christmas is the FOOD! My mouth starts watering in October as I dream about the delicious things I will eat within a month's time. Because we have three sets of parents to visit, that leaves LOTS of food to eat! Some highlights from each include...

John & Gloria (Ryan's parents): Egg Casserole on Christmas Eve, Cheesy Potato Casserole, and Deviled Eggs - I quickly learned that you have to be quick to grab an egg or two, or there won't be any left!

Kelli & Joel (Ryan's sister & her husband): Turkey, Mama's Dressing, & Mashed Potatoes - Seriously, I think Kelli is probably my favorite cook! I like every single thing she makes and in turn always eat WAYYY too much when we're there.

Dad & Danette: Green Bean Casserole, Cheesey Potatoes, and a new addition this year - CHEESE CURDS. These delicious little bundles of goodness are delightful!

Mom & Kent: COOKIES, COOKIES, COOKIES! My mom can bake! Whether they are sugar cut-outs, peanut butter blossoms, or FROZEN chocolate chunk cookies, it does not matter. I simply love them!

Because it's just Ryan and me eating at home (Noah still prefers simple toddler food), I don't have a chance to cook/bake very often. I mean, I could make two dozen cookies, but we would then eat them...every last one of them. So I refrain. Thanksgiving and Christmas give me the opportunity to try new recipes, make old favorites, and watch my loved ones love (or maybe hate) my creations. I think I did pretty well this year, though I know there are a couple dishes that I would change a little something here or a little something there.

I don't know about you, but I heart recipe sharing! I feel so much happiness to know, for example, that someone likes my stuffed mushrooms enough to ask me for the recipe. So, although you didn't ask for these, I'm going to share some of my favorites from this season.

RYAN'S FAVORITE DUTCH APPLE PIE

Pie Filling
1 pie crust (I use the Pillsbury refridgerated roll-out kind)
5 1/2 cups peeled and cored sliced cooking apples
1 T lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 T flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Pie Topping
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit
2. Fit pie crust to pie plate & crimp edge
3. Mix apples, lemon juice, sugars, flour, cinnamon, & nutmeg in a large bowl.
4. Pile mixture into pie crust
5. Prepare topping by mixing flour, sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled with a fork/pastry blender
6. Sprinkle evenly over apples
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes until browned on top


Before


After

Is your mouth watering yet? Good because I'm not done yet. These pies were enjoyed at my mom's Christmas gathering, as well as for Ryan's family after we had our Saturday night Christmas service at Emmanuel Church of Greenwood (one of my very favorite places on Earth!).

STUFFED MUSHROOMS

1 large container of white mushrooms
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4-5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Garlic Powder to taste
Onion Salt to taste
Shredded Colby/Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese

1. Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Mix cream cheese, bacon bits, garlic powder, and onion salt.
3. Taste cream cheese mixture! Don't be afraid to add more seasoning.
4. Stuff mushrooms with cream cheese
5. Top each mushrooms with shredded cheese
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-13 minutes
7. Eat to your heart's content!

Trust me - these are delicious! Ryan calls them my trademark appetizer. I think you will enjoy them, too!

KELLI'S TASTY TURKEY

1 twelve pound Turkey, thawed if bought frozen
2 apples
1-2 stalks of celery
Cranberry Wine (1/4 - 1/3 bottle)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

1. I used a turkey roaster because Kelli said to - and I told you what a good cook Kelli is, so I listened! :) I turned it to just under 350 degrees and prepared the turkey.
2. Remove the bag of grossness goodies from the turkey's cavity. If you only find one bag, try going through the other end (where they head would be), and you will probably find the neck and other disguisting things goodies. I recommend having your husband/father remove these two items for two reasons. First, it's completely gross, and you can't afford to get sick when there is lots of other cooking to do. Second, they can then claim that they helped "cook" the Thanksgiving or Christmas meal while you smile and shrug your shoulders in the background.
3. Core and slice 2 apples with this handy tool
4. Cut celery into 1 inch pieces
5. Rinse the turkey inside and out with water and pat dry.
6. Rub olive oil all over the inside and outside of the turkey
7. Take a handful of salt and rub it inside the turkey cavity
8. Stuff apples and celery inside turkey
9. Pour wine all over turkey, allowing it to run into the bottom of the pan
10. Generously salt and pepper the turkey
11. Let roast for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until the breast is 180 degrees with your favorite thermometer
12. Let the turkey rest for 10-15 minutes prior to carving! This is essential in allowing the juices to redistribute, making your turkey so delightful people will beg for more
13. Prepare to receive marriage proposals, gifts, and compliments galore!


Mmmm!!


The turkey looked so delicious we couldn't even carve the whole thing before devouring this wonderful dinner! Notice how juicy and tender it looks...Kelli knows how to make a turkey!

I hope you've enjoyed these three recipes. I really do love cooking and baking - it's a way I can show people that I love them without having to say it. My mom bought me this cookbook for Christmas, and I have to tell you, I have read EVERY single page - and every word on those pages. Ree started her blog years ago, and I love it. She'll be able to provide you with many more delicious recipes that will keep your family and friends begging for more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty cool stuff here thank you!!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS