11.15.2009

Fundraiser for Noah Kriese

Saturday night, Ryan and I went to church to participate in a fundraiser to support Noah Kriese's family. Here is some information about Noah:

On May 22, 2009, twelve year old Noah Kriese fell into the Trummelbach Falls while vacationing with his family in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. Noah was an active member of the Emmanuel Church of Greenwood and the Center Grove Community. Swiss police, rescue teams, and third party search teams searched for Noah until he was found June 17th, 2009 and brought home. The majority of the cost incurred to find Noah and bring him home lies with his family.

Some wonderful people organized a talent show and silent auction in hopes of raising $25,000 to help with some of the costs from the search. Any additional money would be put toward the Noah Kriese Foundation. Ryan, Noah, and I got there around 5:30 p.m., and I was giddy with excitement upon seeing so many awesome items for the silent auction. I walked around and around the tables, eyeing everything and figuring out my strategy for winning some of the items. We were also excited to see Ryan's 2nd cousins Jessie and Hannah, as they were both performing in the talent show. I bet they had at least 40 entries!! We had a LONGGGG wait until they would perform. Plus, we found out if we wanted to win the prizes, we had to stay until the end. Well, because the talent show was running way behind, the night got longer and longer! Regardless, we had a great time visiting with friends and watching Noah chase our pastor's daughter, Ruby, around the gym. He was seriously mesmerized by her beauty! During one of his many trips across the basketball court, Ryan said to him, "Get used to it, Buddy. You'll be doing this the rest of your life." It was hilarious! Noah just looked at Ryan, smiled, and kept running!

Finally by 8:30 p.m., Noah was BEAT. I drove Ryan and Noah home...thank goodness we live like 2 minutes away...and then went back to the church. By this point, I was bidding on a Woodlands Camp gray sweatshirt and sweatpants, and one other AWESOME auction item! For the past several years, I have been dying to go on a trip by train where we would actually sleep on the train. Well, the auction item wasn't exactly that, but it is the closest I've ever been! I was bidding on overnight accomodations in a TRAINCAR at the Crown Plaza Union Station, 2 coctails in Pullman's Restaurant, a carriage ride around downtown Indy, two movie tickets to the theatre at Circle Center Mall, and breakfast the next morning at Pullman's Restaurant. Ryan and I have our 5 year wedding anniversary coming up on New Year's Day, and we thought it would be the perfect way to celebrate! Plus, it was an awesome way to support an incredible cause...I mean, I'm sure Noah's parents had enough to deal with just losing their son, and we really wanted to help them not have to worry about the finances.

After a few hours of waiting...

...and getting into a bidding war with another lady...

...and feeling like my heart would explode out of my chest...

WE WON!!!

I was BEYOND EXCITED! I even got the sweatshirt and sweatpants, too. I am wearing them right now...and they are COMFY! I can't wait to celebrate our 5 years of marriage because as anyone who is married knows...it is definitely something to celebrate!!!

The icing on the cake is this - through the grapevine, I heard that we were able to raise over $25,000. Isn't that amazing?!?! I think it was a win-win situation for everyone. :)

1 comment:

The Freij Family said...

Hi Ryan and Amy~
I stumbled along your blog through the Matis blog. You have a beautiful baby boy! My name is Kim and I was your hygienist for a short time at Murphy's Landing Family Dental. You may or may not remember me, but I just wanted to say hello and congratulations on your family!
Kim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS