9.01.2009

The Sauce You Can Have, But The Secret, She's a Mine

Don't you love that Saved By The Bell Episode?? I can seriously watch those reruns a hundred times and not get bored. Unlike Screech, you can have this PIZZA PIE recipe AND I will give the proper credits to the deserving person. When I was in high school, I played basketball for three years. Before home games we would have dinner at someone's house. I loved going to dinner at Cara Badskey's (now Cara Warren) house because her mom made these delicious pizza pies! About a year ago, I got the recipe from Cara and have been making them ever since.

I also started participating in a freezer meal group with some women from church. Once a month, we each make 6 meals, keep one for ourselves, and give the other 5 away. It's a great way to try new recipes, have convenient meals, and have easy clean up. I made the pizza pies last Spring, and they were a huge hit! I've been stocking up on all of the ingrediants the past couple months and finally had everything I needed to make the pies. You know me - I had to buy everything at ROCK BOTTOM prices. I was able to get the pepperoni for like 16 cents a pack, shredded cheese for 99 cents, etc. I'm giving you the recipe in bulk in case you'd like to make several at one time and freeze them, too, though you can easily cut it down for just one pizza pie.

The Badskey Pizza Pie
--5 lbs hamburger (or ground turkey for you health nuts)
--5 packs of shredded cheese (mozz, parm, Italian mix, whatever you'd like)
--Large can of pizza sauce (the huge kind - I buy this at Sam's club b/c it's the most cost effective)
--Pizza Toppings (pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, whatever your pleasure)
--2-3 onions (depending on your taste)
--3 Packs of Frozen Pie Shells (6 shells total)
--3 Pillsbury Pie Crust (the roll-out kind in the refridgerated section - 6 total)

Instructions:
1. Brown your hamburger and onion - drain grease
2. Lay out the 6 frozen pie shells
3. Place pepperoni on bottom of pie shell
4. Add 1 cup cheese on top of pepperoni
5. Add 2 cups of browned hamburger & onion and 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce in a large bowl - mix together
6. Pour mixture into pie shell
7. Add other pizza toppings (e.g., mushrooms) and more cheese
8. Place Pillsbury pie shell on top of pie
9. Seal edge and cut off excess crust
10. Cut four slivers into top of crust to allow steam to escape
11. Bake on 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes
***NOTE: If you freeze these, let thaw in your fridge for 24 hours. Then bake as directed.

Here are pictures of the process and final product!

Steps 3 through 6 are shown from right to left...


Step 7

Step 7 continued...

Steps 8 though 10

If you decide to freeze them, I like putting Cling Wrap over the pie. Then I write the name of the pie and the date on a freezer bag. I like Ziploc Double Guard best for my pies! They fit perfectly.

I hope you enjoy them! If you make these, please feel free to leave a comment letting me know how delicious yours turned out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS