9.21.2009

Boubon Chase Update

Well, we are less than THREE weeks away from The Bourbon Chase! It has been one heck of a journey, as we've been training and thinking about this race since May. My training has been going really well for the most part. I took about 2 1/2 weeks off when I had bursitis in my knees, and recently, Ryan had to take about 3 weeks off after injuring his foot. After my time off, I quickly was able to regain my momentum. My long runs on Saturdays were often 6 miles, or I would complete some double runs. For example, one Saturday I ran a 4 miler in the morning and 3 miles that evening. Another time I ran 5 miles in the morning and 4 miles that evening. This is to help prepare for running 3 different times in less than 24 hours. Lately, I've been dealing with some IT Band issues but am hopeful that it will subside in time for the big race. Thank goodness for some good stretches, a rolling pin being ran up and down my leg daily, Ibuprofen, and ICE. :) I am going to complete this race, even if it takes me two weeks to recover. We have worked so hard the past three months, and even more importantly, we are running for a bigger cause (see our letter below).

Hi friends and family!

As most of you know, Ryan and I are running in The Bourbon Chase, a 200 mile overnight relay race in Kentucky in just three short weeks from October 9-10th. We have been training since May and are getting more and more excited for the big race! Along with ten other people from our church who help make up our team (Green Miles), we are attempting to raise $2,000 for
Shepherd Community Center. Feel free to click the link to find out more information about their incredible organization that serves families in poverty living in the near east-side of Indianapolis. Thank you in advance for your consideration! You are welcome to donate a lump sum (e.g., $10) or donate a specific dollar amount for each mile that we run (e.g., $1 per mile). Combined, Ryan and I will be running 33.5 miles ( = $33.50). Wish us luck! For $2,000, Shepherd Community Center can:
  • stock the office for six months.
  • feed 166 kids lunch for the whole year.
  • support 2.5 families for one whole year.
  • provide 22 weeks of summer camp for kids.
  • provide safe transportation for kids for 4.5 months.give 29 kids a place to go after school for the whole year

If you are interested in making a tax-deductible donation, please email me at amyksaver @ gmail . com (minus the spaces) or leave a comment with your email address on this blog. I can then send you my address and other information.

Thank you again! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Take care,
Amy & Ryan

To start the race, they will release about 7-10 teams every 15 minutes on Friday, October 9th. Our team begins the race at 11:45 a.m. If everyone stays at approximately the pace they estimated, I will be running approximately:

6 miles at 5:40 p.m. (10/09)
5 miles at 5:00 a.m. (10/10)
5 miles at 2:40 p.m. (10/10).

Ryan will be running:

8 miles at 6:30 p.m. (10/09)
6 miles at 5:50 a.m. (10/10)
4 miles at 3:30 p.m. (10/10)

The fun part is that when I am finished running, Ryan will take off next. So, I'm hoping that as I become tired at the end of my legs, knowing he is waiting for me at the exchange zone will motivate me to keep working hard! I am VERY excited about not having to run in the middle of the night. It kind of just worked out that way! We are praying for our health, safety, and endurance to complete this race, as well as the ability to raise funds that would greatly help the Shepherd Community Center. I hope to post another update before the big race! Until next time...go Green Miles!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS