7.29.2009

Sara's Baby Shower


Right before we left for vacation, my friends, Michella and Trish, and I (sitting on the couch with Sara) threw our friend Sara (the beautiful one in the pink skirt) a baby shower. J. Nash Crafton is due to arrive August 7th, and I can't wait to meet the little guy! Sara and I met while we were at Hanover, and I have always just loved this girl. She is such a free-spirit and is probably one of the most kind-hearted people I've ever met. Sara was one of my bridesmaids when Ryan and I got married, and she asked me to be in her wedding, last year, but I was going to be 9 months pregnant at the time. After Noah was born two weeks before his due date, Ryan said to me, "We can still go to Sara's wedding!" He knew it was just so important to me. Sure enough, we made it for the big celebration. Now just 14 months later, Nash is about to arrive!


The night before the shower, I drove to Madison to have some girl time with Sara and to get a few things ready for the shower. Living with two boys, I was due for some one-on-one girl time without interruptions! I think my favorite part of the night was grabbing Chinese food from Hong Kong Kitchen - my favorite take-out joint on the planet - sitting down by the Ohio River, and just chatting for hours with Sara while having dinner. It was just the perfect weather and exactly what I needed! Sara has been preparing to have Nash naturally, and so it is fun to talk about that whole process, as well as what's in store for her once he is born. It's amazing how many people say such discouraging things to women when they are pregnant. Whether it's about their weight, the assumed lack of sleep they will have once the baby is born, etc., those comments can really bring you down. I was so fortunate to have such an amazing experience in childbirth, so it's fun to share that with people. Although the first month was trying with breastfeeding and just getting used to a newborn baby, it's important to remember that that time of your life is so small in comparison to everything else. After what can be a difficult beginning for some, life just gets better and better with your family! People will even say horrible things like, "Your marriage will never be the same," meaning in a bad way. Who wants to hear those kinds of things? I really wanted Sara to know that she and Trevor will be the same people they are today doing the same kinds of things...except they will just need to add a baby to the equation. So, if she likes to hike and read books and go on dates, she will still do all of those things! Of course the frequency in which she is able to do them may vary, but she does not have to become an unhappily married, resentful housewife who watches day time soap operas and eats McDonald's all day. Yes, these are the messages other women have been giving her the past few months. I can honestly say that I really feel like my marriage is stronger than ever, my television is never on until after 8 p.m., and I rarely eat fast food. :)

My big project for the shower was to create these Baby Cupcakes from Hello Cupcake. WOW! I thought the Old Swampy was going to be difficult. It was NOTHING compared to these little guys. I needed about 20 different ingrediants, and it was just so meticulous. Thank goodness for my friends Lisa and Beckie giving me teddy grahams, Starbursts, marshmallows, and fruit loops to help put these little guys together. It was quite a project! When I had finished making them, I had a total of 15 cupcakes, and I felt like I should've had 100 for the effort that I put into them. :) Regardless, they did turn out pretty well, and I'm glad I made them for Sara's shower!


My friend, Emilie (above top left in brown), brought her little guy, Jackson Frank Thurman, to Sara's shower, and I was so excited to meet him! Is he the cutest or what? Jackson had the longest hair I have ever seen when he was born, and it is just the softest, curliest hair ever. I just love it! He was SO well behaved the entire shower. Thank you, Em, for bringing him! All in all, it was a great day spent with some of my favorite women from Hanover College. Now I'm just waiting for the phone call that Nash is on his way here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS