6.11.2009

Bourbon Chase Update

Well, I'm two and a half weeks into my training for the Bourbon Chase. After getting into my second week of running, it was getting much easier, my body was already changing, and my time was getting better, too. It had been around 10 years since I had exercised regularly, and it felt good! I know that I'm not the kind of person (yet) who can just exercise for the enjoyment. I need an ultimate goal - like the Bourbon Chase - to keep me motivated. The team element of the race helps tremendously because otherwise, if it was just me running a mini marathon or something by myself, I wouldn't have the accountability. I NEED accountability in several areas of my life...but especially exercise. I feel more confident already, and things are just beginning! So that's the good news.

Now for the bad news. I ran Friday night because I was too busy Thursday to get in my run. On Saturday I woke up and felt like a rickety old man. I was hobbling around the house, and my knees were really sore! I had another run to do that night, and for the first half mile, I thought my legs were going to break in two. Then, after running for a bit, they didn't feel so bad, but the aftermath was another story. Sunday morning I was REALLY sore...worse than Saturday. I totally expected muscle pain after running, but I was not expecting my knees to be so sore for two reasons. One, I have never had knee issues before. Two, I was only 2 weeks into training for CRYING OUT LOUD! I ran Monday night, and it was by far my worst run. I was just praying that I would be able to finish. I'm sure I looked like an old man running...or at least that's how I felt.

Today I had an appointment at Methodist Sports Medicine to get my knees checked out. The part that hurts the most is the inside bottom part of my knees. I was a little frustrated at MSM today because I didn't get to see the doctor until 30 minutes after my appointment time. I am not much for waiting...isn't that why they call it an appointment? :) :) :) Anyway, thank goodness Dr. Kersey was really wonderful! I felt like he thoroughly examined the issue, having me walk this way, flex that way, and move this way. Dr. Kersey said that my issue is similar to the New Years Day Phenomenon, as he called it. So many people around New Years get so excited and motivated to start working out, but they do too much too quickly, and their bodies react badly. Then they quit. Well, for those of you who know me, quitting is NOT an option! Instead, I just wanted to know what I needed to do to get better and get back out there!

Dr. Kersey said that part of the issue is just the anatomy of my knees because I'm a little 'knocked kneed'. That puts a little more strain on my knees. Because running is a high impact sport, I'm absorbing a lot of the impact in my knees, too. Considering it's been 10 years since I last worked out, my knees are a little surprised! The diagnosis is Pes Anserinus Bursitis. Basically, there are three tendons on that specific part of my knee that are just inflamed. When you work out, you are tearing down your muscles, and then they rebuild stronger. I need to give my knees a little time to "rebound" and then hopefully I'll be on my way again.

For now, the recommendation is icing 3 times a day, which is painful, but I can definitely tell that my knees feel better afterward. Maybe that's because they are numb! He also recommended Ibuprofen for the next 5 days to help with the inflammation. I'm not supposed to run for a bit but instead have been advised to do non-impact cardio such as the elliptical, swimming, stair stepper, etc. He also wants me to see a physical therapist to get some ideas about stretching and rehab. I am not usually very good about following up with doctor's orders, but this race is really important to me. It is such an incredible opportunity, and I want to do everything I can to accomplish my goals. Hopefully next time I write a Bourbon Chase update, I will be back to good and running again!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Ouch! I have def heard of bursitis; hang in there Amy, you are doing great! Let me know if I can do anything to help. I am a good workout buddy :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better! Keep up the good work so I can come see you during your race! Love, Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS