5.28.2009

Weaning - What a Weird Word

After 12 months of breastfeeding, the time finally came to starting weaning Noah to whole milk! For most of this past year, it was really easy, but of course there were times that I thought, this is seriously hard work. It took Noah 5 weeks to learn how to latch on independently without a shield. Then when I went back to work, we dealt with a two day nursing strike. This winter when Noah's teeth came in, guess who had to suffer the consequences? Now that REALLY hurt! I tried lots of different things to get him to stop, but after about two weeks, the only thing that worked was flipping Noah in the mouth when he bit me. That seemed to take care of that! The last four months have been really easy. Rather than feeding him 8 times a day for 45 minutes each like I did during his first two months, we were down to 4-5 feedings for about 15-20 minutes each. Now that is more like it!


The day after Noah's birthday party, I went ahead and dropped his lunch feeding and gave him a sippy cup of whole organic milk instead. This worked perfectly because I worked a half day every day last week, so I didn't have to pump at work. That was GLORIOUS! Then last weekend I dropped his dinner feeding and gave him another sippy cup of milk. He has not drank the entire cup yet, but he's getting better at it. I am really trying not to warm up his milk because I don't want him to get in the habit of having to do that all the time. Noah was SO picky about his bottle being just the right temperature, and I really want him to get used to cold milk.


Now we're just down to his nighttime and morning feedings. I'm going to drop his nighttime feeding probably this weekend, and I'm hoping that just a sippy cup of milk will suffice for bedtime. Thoughts anyone? Then, by the end of next week, I am hoping to be completely done. So far it hasn't been hard to make the transition because the middle of the day is so busy. I do think I'll have a harder time with the first feeding for two reasons. One, I am usually the 'fullest' in the morning, and two, Noah is the most focused, cuddly little person in the morning. While I know I'll be a little sad to drop it, I am REALLY excited to have more independence. To not be on the clock to get home to feed Noah will be amazing! I'm looking forward to a nice glass of wine, more flexibility to be away with friends, and a nice cold Mountain Dew or Cherry Pepsi. That's right, I haven't had caffienated soda for almost two full years! I feel really lucky to have made it breastfeeding this long. The benefits for Noah's health and development long term are awesome. Now it's time to accomplish bigger and better things!

Is this the cutest picture or what?

1 comment:

The Deaton Family said...

Good luck! Also, I have heard it's easier to drop the morning session first. Usually the last one to drop is the night time one. That's what we did. Just my opinion though. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS