5.12.2009

Sick or Teething???

When you have a young baby, it is so difficult to tell if they are sick or teething! So many of the symptoms associated with a cold also can happen when babies are teething. Two Mondays ago, Ryan was out of town for business. I put Noah to bed around 8 p.m. and settled in for some nice R&R. Less than an hour later, the screaming began. I rushed upstairs because this was the "I'm in pain" cry, and Noah NEVER wakes up once he's down for bed at night. I was up with him for about 40 minutes or so and got him to fall back to sleep. I was just getting back to relaxing when he started screaming again...ahhh! I went upstairs about 11 p.m. to comfort him again, to check for a fever, etc. He fell asleep again around 11:45 p.m. I decided to go ahead and go to bed at that point. Noah got me up again at 1:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. Needless to say, I was exhausted the next day! Even in his worst sicknesses this year, he has not cried like that in the middle of the night.

I know this sounds silly, but I was starting to worry that he had the Swine Flu or something! I know, laugh all you want, but there was this creepy lady at Panera who walked by us while we were eating and planted her entire hand on the side of his face and kind of wiped it along his face...NASTY! She didn't even say "Hello" or "What a cute baby" or anything like people typically do when they touch him. Nope, she just assaulted him instead! I'm trying to be funny, but seriously, it was strange and gross all at the same time. It was later that night that he started screaming. Noah ran a fever Tuesday and Wednesday but seemed to be doing much better Wednesday night. He went to the sitter Thursday and Friday and seemed to do pretty well, though Candace said that Noah and her son were having a crying contest on Thursday.

Saturday we celebrated Mother's Day with Ryan's family in Westfield. Noah was perfectly happy and content still. HOWEVER...that night he did the same thing. Ryan and I were so tired that we decided to go to bed around 9:30 p.m. I know we are huge dorks, but we do NOT go to bed that early, especially on Saturdays. Well, we weren't asleep for more than 20 minutes when the screaming began. AHHH!! It honestly felt like we had a newborn baby all over again...the crying...the being inconsolable...the tagging each other in because we had reached our limits. Wow! That was a trip down memory lane. By 1 a.m. I finally had Noah back to bed, and he slept until 7:30 a.m. Thank the Lord! We still don't know if it was a teething issue or if he was sick. All I know is either way, Infant Motrin and Infant Tylenol are a Godsend.
It really was a good reminder how lucky we are that Noah has been a really great sleeper since about 3 weeks old (5-6 hour stretches at night) and 7 weeks (sleeping 8 hours). I can't remember when he started sleeping 12 hour stretches, but it was fairly quickly. He still sleeps 11-12 hours each night! I love when we are watching TV in the evenings and check on him through our wireless video camera and see this:

1 comment:

Lisa B said...

Glad he seems to be feeling better...let me know when you need some more tylenol! HaHa. Nothing like watching a sweet baby sleeping.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS