5.23.2009

Noah's First Birthday Party

I still cannot believe we had Noah's first birthday party last weekend! You know how when you are graduating from school, getting married, or experiencing one of those big life events, and you feel like, "Oh my gosh...I've always talked about doing this, but I can't believe I finally am doing it?" Well, Noah's birthday celebration was very much like one of those experiences for me. We spent the entire week preparing for the big day. You know me, I had a list of things that we needed to accomplish each night of the week prior to the party in order to have everything ready for Saturday. We cleaned this and bought that and organized this and created that. It was one busy week! I think we were up until a little after midnight Friday night trying to get our list of things to accomplish completed. We hit the sack, and before I knew it, the alarm was going off at 6 a.m. for me to get back to work.

The big project for Saturday was Noah's birthday cake. Months ago I bought a book called Hello Cupcake, and Ryan thought it would be a really cute idea to make Noah the crocodile cake made from cupcakes. It was just so adorable, and I couldn't resist making it for him! I had no idea how long it would take me, so I made sure to have everything organized for the party so that I could concentrate on decorating the cake Saturday before the party began. I spent part of Friday night making two boxes of cupcakes and making the icing just the right shade of green. Thank goodness for my KitchenAid mixer because it took me at least 30 minutes. Anyway, Saturday morning, the decorating went much faster than expected. Check out some fun pictures!

In the early stages of decorating...


My inspiration...

The teeth & eyes are marshmallows, and the nose is made from jelly beans


The spikes are made from Newman's Own Alphabet Cookies, and the claws are banana flavored Runts

Didn't it turn out great? Just as I was getting ready to start decorating, Ryan said, "Amy, this is your big 'Ace of Cakes' debute!" I LOVE that show! I honestly tried to get a summer job a couple years ago at this cake shop nearby, but they said they only wanted experienced people. I have this secret desire to decorate cakes for people. I think I may have a knack for it afterall! :)

Anyway, we had a great time celebrating with everyone. We really wanted to keep it fairly under control with the number of guests...I mean, he is only one year old. So, we invited immediate family and just a few close friends who live nearby. We made quite an array of food: hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade mac-n-cheese, potato salad, baked beans, corn-on-the-cob, chips, and veggie pizza. Ryan's mom made her famous deviled eggs, and his sister brought a delicious fruit salad. We all pigged out, and then it was time for Noah to dig into his cake.

I really wasn't sure how Noah would do with his cake. We had about 25 people at our house, and I really thought he might clam up, be shy, and not do anything but maybe cry. I had been running around like crazy making sure the food was finished, people were having fun, etc. Then I remember that when we started to sing Happy Birthday, I thought to myself, "Oh my goodness, this is it. I need to slow down and just really savor this moment." At one of my baby showers, everyone made a wish for Noah to have on each of his birthdays, and these wishes were wrapped around a birthday candle. So, we used picked out a candle for his cupcake, and his wish was from his 6-year-old cousin Mikayla. It said, "I hope you are happy." I would definitely say that Noah is one happy boy, and I hope that Mikayla's wish for this next year of his life comes true. After we blew out the candle, Noah dove into his cupcake like a champion!

Loving that GREEN icing

Starting to dig into the cake...

Love this smile!

Time for a bath. Noah had green icing in his diaper!

We gave Noah a quick bath and then headed back downstairs to open gifts. He was starting to get pretty tired, but he really was a champ. Everyone got him such sweet and generous gifts: books, Little People playsets, the toy popcorn popper that you push, photo books and picture frames, clothes, an outdoor playset, a bubble machine, Target gift cards, big cars, and savings bonds. He is definitely one very loved little boy!

All in all, it was a perfect day. After all of our guests left, we all took a much-needed nap for a couple hours. We took a family walk later that evening with Kya and just relaxed. Thank you to everyone who made Noah's birthday so special!

3 comments:

Lisa B said...

FABULOUS cake!! You did such a good job. I decided when Garrett turned one that I would make all our kids birthday cakes from scratch because I wanted them to know how special their birthdays are. As they get older, they get such a kick out of picking what character they want their cake to be. I hope you keep it up for all your kids birthdays! I need to get that book to try for next year.

Mandy said...

What a great cake, Amy!! Sooo cool! I can't believe he is 1 already. What a big handsome boy! :)

LarsenFamily said...

You did a great job! Decorating is one of my favorite past times... I'm STILL trying to find the perfect sugar cookie icing. I can't wait to see what other wonderful cupcake-cakes you make!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS