5.24.2009

Bourbon Chase

It's time for our next adventure! Ryan and I were invited to run in the Bourbon Chase on October 9-10th. It is a 200 mile relay race that winds through Kentucky, going from one bourbon distillery to another. We're running with our friends Tim & Beckie, Lisa & Andy, and Danny (our pastor) & Jackie, as well as 2-4 more yet-to-be-determined people. I've been elected Team Captain since I don't have to work this summer, and for those of you who really know me, I LOVE organizing things! We don't yet have a team name, but everyone is coming up with individual nicknames. Although they are not 100% decided upon, here are the names so far:

Amy "The Bullet" Abell

Ryan "Out of Retirement" Abell

Jackie "Jazz Hands" or "Sweet Tooth" Anderson

Danny "One Bad Knee" or "Runs with a Limp" Anderson

Beckie "Freebie" Farrant

Tim "Sub 9" Farrant

Lisa "Short Stuff" Bauermeister

Andy "Hat Trick" Bauermeister

I think we definitely need to get some sweet 80's t-shirts or something. Maybe a sweat band and tube socks to match...who knows! :)

Each of us will run anywhere from 3-4 legs of the race, with each leg consisting of 3.5 to 8.1 miles. That means each person will run a total of 14-25 miles over the course of two days, depending on whether we have 10 or 12 people run. I'm hoping for 12 so that the legs of the race will be more even; plus, it gives us some room for injuries.

Friday night we went to The Running Company and had a great experience! They put you on a treadmill and videotape you running in order to see what type of shoe you need. Ryan learned the hard way just how important the right kind of running shoes are to preventing injuries, so we are making sure to get the shoes that we need for our style of running. We learned that both of us are very neutral, meaning we do not pronate or supinate. Ryan is a heel-striker, meaning that when his foot hits the ground, his heel hits first. I, on the other hand, am a mid-foot striker, so the middle of my foot hits the ground first.

Ryan decided to stick with his Adidas Boston Classic, which is the same shoe he has used for previous mini-marathons and the Chicago Marathon. I ended up loving the Mizuno Wave Rider 12. They have the perfect amount of cushion in the middle of my foot, which felt especially nice since I'm a mid-foot striker. :) Neat, huh? It really was the first time that I picked a shoe for comfort rather than looks. I tried on several different pairs, ran on the treadmill for a bit, etc., and the Mizunos were just PERFECT.

Mizuno Wave Rider 12

You're probably wondering what my training schedule will look like over the next 20 weeks. Well, I'm running every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (my long runs). I'll start out running 6 miles a week and will eventually run 22 miles in a week. Two of my later long runs will include a 5 mile run in the morning and a 5 mile run in the evening. Because this race stretches over the course of 2 days, we will be running through the middle of the night. I will need to be ready to run during the day and at night. :)

I'm definitely looking forward to getting my body back in shape now that I'm almost done with breastfeeding. I am also really excited to challenge my body and mind through the ups and downs of this training and the final race. Most of all, though, I think I'm looking forward to the time with our friends, to grow closer to one another, and to grow closer to God. It is going to be one heck of an adventure! My training officially starts tomorrow, though Ryan and I went on a run Friday night while my mom kept Noah overnight so that we could have a date night for Ryan's birthday. Wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

awesome, Amy!! You guys will do great!! :)

LarsenFamily said...

this is SO exciting! I really wish we were there so we could be on the team. ugh! WHY did we move??!?! This will be a great challenge for all of you. It makes me want to go out and run right now! Jason and I just ordered new running shoes...yea! if you want a great training website for long runs, go to halhigdon.com. My mom, sister, and I have always used his training programs. I am SUPER jealous! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS