11.03.2008

First Bites


We've hit a huge milestone...time for Noah to start eating solids! :) I got a lot of direction for introducing foods into Noah's diet from Babywise (the second book). We decided to go ahead and give him organic rice cereal once a day for a week...and then three times a day the following week before beginning veggies on November 15th, when Noah is 6 months old. We had gotten family portraits taken with Ryan's family on Saturday and afterward went back to Ryan's parents' house to celebrate his dad's birthday. It was the perfect time to give Noah his first bites of cereal! He did a really good job, too...no choking, spitting, or the like!


Today I made the first batch of Noah's veggies. After two weeks of having only cereal, he is going to get to try 4 different "orange/yellow" vegetables over the course of two weeks. I bought 2 lbs. of organic carrots, 3 sweet potatoes, a butternut squash, and 2 pumpkins. I spent about $10 total, so you can just imagine how much money we're going to save making his food. A friend of mine said that just with the first batch of food she made, she saved about $150. Isn't that incredible?? I know people worry about not having enough time to make the food, but it really only took about 3 hours total (including some breaks to play with Noah). It was SUPER easy, too! I tasted all of it, and it made me all the more excited for Noah to eat it soon. Here is the process for making carrots:


Peel and chop carrots

I put them into my bamboo steamer ($15) over some boiling water in the wok. There are two levels to this steamer, so you can work with a lot of food! I steamed each veggie for 20 minutes.


Put carrots in the blender and add water from the wok until desired consistency

Spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. Once they are frozen, I will put the cubes into freezer bags with the date. We'll have three months to use the food I prepared today.
Next up...peas, green beans, zuccinis, and avocados!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS