10.02.2008

Lots to catch up on...


Noah sporting his baby legs (Thanks Amanda!)


The power adapter in my laptop broke, so I haven't had much opportunity to write lately, but I have lots to catch you up on in the life of the Abell family. I had some fun pictures and video to post on the blog, too, which was another reason to put off writing until now. As we speak, Ryan is upstairs putting Noah down for Nap #5...yep, Noah still takes a nap after a meal and some play time. He is just growing and growing and growing. It's hard to believe that he'll never look like a newborn again. I honestly feel like we just brought him home!

So we bought Noah's Halloween costume about a month ago...a size 0-6 months. Well, I decided to surprise Ryan the other night and put Noah in it for a good laugh. It barely fit him! I'm going to have to go back to the store and get the next size. It's crazy! He's wearing 6-9 month clothes already and is probably about 16 pounds now. Anyway, Ryan really wanted Noah to be a dragon for Halloween...where his head would come out of the mouth and have spikes down his back. I found this at Target...the best store ever (minus the return policy)...and it is perfect! What do you think?


Everyone told us that the smiles are great...but that the laughs are absolutely the best, and they were right! Here is a great video of Noah laughing with Ryan.

video

Everybook I read says that babies can start eating solids between 4-6 months. So, at Noah's 4 month check up, I asked Dr. Gloyeske what his opinion was on the matter. He said that although he used to be part of the 4 month camp, he is seeing so many children with food allergies. He went on to say that he hasn't seen any real data to support that eating solids at an earlier time is causing the allergies but that it makes him wonder. He told me that as long as Noah is still sleeping through the night (he is sleeping 9-10 hours usually), and he isn't seeming hungry after meals that we might as well just wait until we see changes in his behavior (e.g., wanting to eat in the middle of the night). I am going to make all of Noah's baby food, and I am SUPER excited about it! First of all, there is just something about giving him fresh food rather than jarred baby food that has enough preservative to make it last for a couple years. Second, it's going to save us LOTS of money. Third, it's going to be much healthier for him. My parents made my food, and I'm excited to pass on the tradition. My friend Beckie helped me in my first efforts to make Noah's food. She taught me how to can applesauce. A really nice couple at church gave her a couple boxes of apples from their own apple trees, so she let me make applesauce out of one of the boxes. Here is the fruit of my labor...pun intended! That's right...I made ELEVEN jars of applesauce for Noah. It's very yummy!

Hmm...what else has been going on in our lives? Well, for one, Noah hasn't poo'd since Saturday night. It's a record...and I'm scared. Not scared as in worried for his health. I know he's ok or else he'd be screaming. I'm scared because I am worried about the clean up. It's going to be HUGE! If you count today, that means he hasn't poo'd for 5 whole days. YIKES! Stay tuned for that story...and pictures of course. :)

Ryan and I decided to go on envelope system. That's right...we read Dave Ramsey awhile back and have implemented a few of his main ideas. Now, we're giving the envelope system a shot. Ryan and I each have our personal money for the month, which is great because neither of us feel guilty about treating ourselves with this or that. We have X amount of money for groceries and house products and X amount of money for entertainment/restaurants. It will be fun to be more intentional with our money! God calls us to be good stewards of our money, so I think this is one way we can honor that. I have been on a coupon rage lately...scoring some great deals at Target and Kmart. I think I am all stocked up on diapers for Noah until after Christmas. How great is that?

Noah hanging out with Grandpa

On a final note, I am really confused about what I want in terms of staying at home versus working. I really thought this part time situation would be perfect for me...enough time at home...and enough time away. But I'm finding myself being sadder and sadder to leave Noah in the mornings. I thought it was supposed to get easier? Work is difficult right now due to lots of transition in our field and state laws, but even that seems to be getting easier and less stressful. Despite things calming down at work, I still feel this pull to be home more. I will definitely stick out the year because I made the commitment to do so, but we are really considering me staying home in the future. I am totally surprised to write that, but it's true. I can't figure out if I just love being at home so much because it's something new...exciting to do something different OR if it's because my heart is really at home now. I don't know.... I am really feeling a lot of joy and fulfillment taking care of things at home and working on projects that would otherwise never get done (e.g., refinishing a mirror, steam cleaning the carpets, canning applesauce). I guess time will tell. I just don't feel as happy as I used to at work, and I'm missing Noah more and more during the day. Again, I think I will be able to figure things out as the year goes on. I'm praying for God to help me figure things out, and I know He'll show me the way! I'm just so lucky that Ryan is supportive of both situations. Could I have it any better? Nope...I don't think so.

2 comments:

rebekahallebach said...

Let me know how making your own baby food goes. I'm hoping to do this with the next one! And sending lots of prayers your way for career decisions-I faced the same and it's hard.

Erin said...

Ames,
I think I know exactly your thoughts about staying at home.. that's my biggest worry when I become a mom. You'll figure it out and end up where you're supposed to be, just listen to your heart:)
Love you!
Erin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS