7.18.2008

Gotta Slow Down...

Ever since Noah was born, we have (for the most part) continued to live our lives just like we had before he was born. We wanted to make sure we got to do all of the fun things we used to do, as often we had before. After keeping up with that kind of life for the past two months, I have realized that we are just wearing ourselves out! During the week, we have been hanging out with friends/family, attending our small group Bible study meetings, Ryan's been going to practice at church, etc. Then, one the weekends, when we typically catch up on all the things we didn't accomplish throughout the week, we've been busy, too. Every weekend since Noah's birth, we have had at least one commitment with our family and/or friends, so we haven't had much time to get things done, let alone relax at home. Don't get me wrong, we have had a GREAT time in the moment! It has been so fun to spend time with the people we love the most. On the flipside, that kind of lifestyle is really beginning to take its toll on all three of us and our responsibilities at home. For the past week, Noah has just been fussier than usual, and for the past two weeks, he has been wanting to wake up out of his naps after 20-45 minutes...when he should be sleeping for an hour to an hour and a half. This doesn't leave me much time to get anything done during the day! Plus, after the two wedding receptions this weekend and not feeding Noah or pumping for those several hours, my body must have been learning that it didn't need to produce as much milk because my supply seems to have dropped quite a bit. Last week, I could pump 3-4 oz. after feeding Noah, but for the past two days, I have barely gotten 1 oz. after his feedings. So, yesterday we spent the day on the couch, resting, cuddling, and chugging water. :) Noah wouldn't sleep unless I was holding him, which only affirms my thoughts even more. We are just doing too much and not taking care of ourselves very well.

So, with that said, we leave for vacation on Sunday with Ryan's family! I am hoping that we all have the chance to relax and rest and just enjoy ourselves. Hopefully it won't disrupt Noah's routine too much because he sure does get cranky! It will be so nice to have his family there to love on Noah and to help take care of him. I plan to finish packing today, so pray that Noah cooperates with that plan! :) When we get back from vacation, I only have about a week and a half until I go back to work. I plan to RELAX and REST! We just can't keep living the way we have because it's not good for any of us...even if it has been fun. As much as I want to be able to live life like we used to, I know that things have to change. That doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be a change for the worse...or that I'm upset about the changes...it's what is best for our family. We can't keep making plans and carting the little guy along all the time. It's been an exciting and eventful summer, and hopefully the next few weeks will give us all time to recuperate and center. You have to take care of your family first, and everything after that is just fun, extra stuff that sweetens life! :)

2 comments:

Kelli said...

i am very proud of you for making that decision because i know it's hard when you feel like you are letting other peoplel down when you aren't available to do something with them or tell them no if they want to come over (me included!!!). i totally support you! love you!

dntill said...

Ditto to what Kelli said. Take care of yourselves!! I know how busy I feel and we don't have a little one...so I am sure that you guys must feel it even more. It sounds like vacation is coming at just the right time. Great photo of both you and Ryan with Noah.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS