6.25.2008

Six Weeks Later

Wow!! Can you believe that six weeks have gone by since Noah was born? It's hard to believe that many women go back to work after six weeks. I'm so thankful that I will have around 12 weeks at home with Noah before having to go back to work part time. If I had to figure out pumping enough breastmilk for a sitter right now, I think I'd go bananas! I just put Noah down for a nap, so hopefully I will have at least an hour of uninterrupted time to write this blog and to get a few things done around the house...although what I'd really like to do is take a nap! I fed Noah his last feeding of the day at 11:15, and he finished eating around 11:50 or so (he's getting a little faster). I rocked him for a few minutes, swaddled him up, and put him in his crib by midnight. Well, he was having some stomach pains, so I gave him some gripe water (the best concoction on the planet!) and finally got to sleep around 12:45 a.m. He woke back up at 4:15 to eat again, and we finished around 5 a.m. Well, his belly still was bothering him, so by 6 a.m., I was ready to pull out my hair from just being so tired! Ryan woke up and gave Noah more gripe water, walked him around the house, and put him in his crib a little while later. I got to sleep from about 6-8:15 a.m. when Noah woke back up to eat again. So...I got a little over 5 hours of sleep last night. I really shouldn't complain, though, because Noah has slept ALL NIGHT three out of the last seven nights...can you believe that??? I'll feed him around 11 p.m., and he'll sleep until 6-7:00 a.m. It was wonderful! Of course, I wake up thinking, "Wow, I got some great sleep last night", which is quickly followed up by the thought, "Oh my gosh, is he alive?!?!" Needless to say, he survived! :)





I went to my six week check up with Dr. Soper, and all looks well!!! She said I've completely healed up and can resume life as usual. I really wasn't wanting to get back on the birth control pill, but I'm also not looking to get pregnant again any time soon! We're talking 3-4 years before having more kids probably. I didn't have her write me a prescription, but I'm actually thinking about going back on the pill afterall. We'll see how it goes with breastfeeding because many women don't have a period while they breastfeed. Dr. Soper said that birth control pills are safe for babies when you are breastfeeding (progesterone only pills...not the ones with estrogen), but I'm really not looking to expose Noah to a bunch of progesterone. I have really tried to keep unnatural substances away from him (other than the processed food I eat and drink), so why stop now? Some exciting news from my appointment...I only weigh ONE POUND more than I did before I got pregnant...BOOYAH! That means I lost 25 pounds in the past six weeks. I have to give all the credit to breastfeeding because you burn 200-500 calories per day to produce breastmilk. Obviously, I also lost weight when Noah was born, too, since he weighed over 7 lbs...plus the weight of any water, the placenta, etc. Anyway, I'm just counting my blessings right now because losing weight is just one less thing I have to concentrate on right now! :)

Things have really calmed down in the past week or so. Noah started latching on without a shield the day after Father's Day! That has been SOOO nice! I've also gotten a better handle on what his cries mean...which ones mean "I'm in pain", "I'm tired", "I'm uncomfortable", "I'm bored", etc. Now I don't always get it right, but it's definitely good progress from where I was. The extra sleep has definitely been nice, too, with the exception of last night. I think I figured out why he had a belly ache, too. A lot of babies don't process cow's milk very well, and I hadn't had any milk for a week or so except on cereal because I wanted to see if that bothered Noah's tummy. Well, he didn't have any issues last week. I had a glass of milk last night with dinner, and sure enough, Noah was really fussy last night. He was pulling his legs up and arching his back, which are tall tale signs of a belly ache/gas pains. We gave him some gripe water, and it really relaxed him enough to get some sleep. I know that at least for awhile longer, I won't be drinking milk until Noah's belly and digestion is a bit more developed. :)




The best thing I can write about are Noah's smiles. I just feel SOO good when he smiles at me. Oftentimes, I will say, "Noah do you smiles for the milks"...like I'm making a deal with him that if he smiles at me, I will feed him. A lot of times, he does smile really big! Other times, he starts crying like, "Lady you better give me your ;milks' (as we call it), or you're going to have a HUGE tantrum on your hands." Haha! I love that kid!

Ryan and I have been out a few times just the two of us. First, we were able to get some ice cream one night while my stepmom was in town. Second, we went to a friend's surprise birthday party for a couple hours when Ryan's parents were staying over with us. It was so fun to spend time with people our age and just laugh and feel like we were more than just Noah's parents. Third, we went on a REAL DATE last Saturday night, and my mom and her husband watched Noah. Ryan and I ate at BJ's Brewhouse and then saw the new Indiana Jones movie. I had to pump a gazillion times throughout the week in order to have enough milk for Noah for Saturday. It is just so hard because I have to pump at the end of a feeding in order to not take his milk, so sometimes I might get an ounce or so...but others I get only a few drops. I have woken up in the middle of the night a few times to pump, which has worked all but one time. I had pumped at 2:30 a.m. and was hoping Noah wouldn't wake up until 4:30 a.m. so that my milk would come in again for him to have. But no luck...he woke up at 3:30 a.m. instead, and Ryan had to give him the milk I had pumped. I still haven't given Noah a bottle because sometimes babies refuse to take a bottle from their mom's who are breastfeeding. They say until he is really great with breastfeeding to avoid giving him a bottle myself. Ryan likes doing it, and boy can Noah drink that milk FAST when he's using a bottle. Back to the date...see, breastfeeding just consumes me!! We really had a nice time away just the two of us. We left around 5 p.m. and didn't get home until after 10 p.m. It was great! I can't wait to do it again soon. Enjoy the newest pictures I'm posting!!!

5 comments:

iniquity27 said...

Wow Amy, you look so good! I'm so happy everything has turned out so well. We look forward to seeing you soon. :)

michi.yamano said...

Ames,
Are you sure you just had that baby, cause you don't look like you did! The mommy look is good on you!

dntill said...

Amy you look great and I cannot believe how different Noah already looks in just 2 weeks! Can't wait to see you all soon!

AbigailCarter said...

Yes, I am in Hawaii and reading your blog! :) You look fabulous and I cannot believe how big Noah is getting! We are having a great time in Hawaii, it is absolute paradise! Can't wait to see you guys soon - love ya!

ktill3 said...

you look awesome! can't wait to see you guys again! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS