6.09.2008

Long Time No Blog

Daddy combing Noah's hair after his first bath

Wow! It has been forever and then some since I last wrote in this blog. I have been tempted to give it up, but I know that having my thoughts and experiences recorded will be such a great way to remember this time in my life. The past three and a half weeks have been filled with great ups...as well as pretty low downs. I'm quickly learning the roller-coaster ride that is motherhood. :) Let me tell you, I have GREAT respect for every mother out there! I know it sounds crazy, but I even have a weird respect for women who aren't even very good mothers because I am realizing how difficult this job can be at times! The first week home was mostly filled with being amazed at this little baby boy who had been growing inside me for 9 months. Noah slept most of the time, with the exception of eating. He was pretty fussy overnight, and Ryan and I took turns taking care of the little man. When Noah would cry for what seemed like an eternity, I'd go wake up Ryan and "tag" him in...in order to keep my sanity and vice versa. We would bounce him, swing him, rock him, put him on a vibrating chair, etc. Noah would usually be calm for a while and then would start crying again. Finally, after putting our heads together and getting some good information from Babywise and an audio book called "The Baby Whisperer", we attempted to just swaddle Noah in an actual swaddle blanket and to let him cry for 5 minutes. We decided that if he cried longer than 5 minutes, he must need something. This trick worked wonders!!! We were sleeping a good 5-6 hours each night for the second week of Noah's life...unheard of for newborn babies. During the daytime, I was feeding Noah every 2 1/2 to 3 hours (from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of another), which typically left me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get something else done (e.g., shower, clean, etc.) before he needed to eat again. We were in a routine, and life was good!!

Well, that was all fine and dandy until Noah hit the 3 week mark. This is when a lot of babies go through a growth spurt. He began eating every 1 1/2 hours, leaving me only 45 minutes to have a break from feeding. Not only was my free time much shorter, but Noah would often stay awake crying between 2-3 feedings before finally taking a nap. AHHH!!! I'm telling you...those were trying days, and we will probably experience plenty more of those, too. It's not the easiest thing...listening to your newborn baby cry...and cry...and cry...and cry. I felt HORRIBLE that I couldn't console him...like I was a bad mother or something. I'm thinking to myself, I'm his mom. I should know how to help him. Ryan could hold Noah when he was crying, and the little guy would stop right away! That's fine in the evenings when Ryan's home, but when I have Noah to myself all day, it's a nightmare. I watch Ryan, trying to figure our what he is doing differently and trying to learn his secret to calming down our son. I just felt like my breastmilk was all I was good for! I know that sounds silly, but seriously...that's how I felt (and still might feel depending on how things go this week). :) At church, one of the members said something about how life is full of peaks and valleys. While we are having a great time during the peaks and celebrating life, everything feels great, and we should praise God. Then, when we hit a valley, that is when God is really going to see what we are made of. How we respond to those difficult times tells a lot about our character. Getting through those difficult times only gives us greater strength to get through the next challenging moments. When I was in labor, I kept thinking, "Labor gives a woman strength to be a mother." I really believe that now even more than I did before! I feel myself growing stronger as a mother each day, even though some days are definitely harder than others.


Mommy snuggling with Noah

Today, fortunately, has been an easy day so far! I got 5 hours of sleep before feeding Noah at 4:15 a.m. I slept another 2 1/2 hours and fed Noah again at 7:30 a.m. He went straight back to sleep after that, and I was able to take a shower, straighten my hair, and put on make-up (HOORAY!). :) Then I got the dishes done and the kitchen cleaned up. He woke up again soon after that, and I fed him around 9:30 a.m. We just hung out for a few hours, and I fed him again at 12:30 p.m. Noah was pretty tired after that, so I swaddled him, gave him a pacifier (this kid likes to comfort suck!), and put him to bed. He's been sleeping for 2 hours, which has given me time to surprise Ryan with a homemade chocolate cake (not the box kind). That's right...I used flour, sugar, cocoa, etc. and made him a birthday cake!! His birthday was actually May 22nd, the day we put Layla to sleep. So as you can imagine, we didn't celebrate anything that day. He decided that he wanted to celebrate it tonight! I hope Noah is in a pleasant mood this afternoon and evening and cooperates with the birthday celebration. We will see! I hope to blog again more often about the adventures of being a new parent. Stay tuned!

Daddy giving Noah some love

1 comment:

rebekahallebach said...

You depict motherhood beautifully...the ups and the downs. 6 weeks has always been a huge turning point with my kids; I hope it's the same for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS