3.17.2008

Glucose Screening Results

In my last blog, I wrote about getting my glucose screening done in order to test for gestational diabetes. Only 2-5% of women have gestational diabetes during their pregnancy, but everyone is required to have the screening completed. For the screening, you just drink their sugary drink and have your blood drawn one hour later. Normal levels fall below 140, and my results indicated a 167...so, I failed the screening. I read that 15-23% of all women fail this one hour screening. Now, I have to go have a glucose tolerance test done, which I'm going to do on Wednesday. :) I will fast from midnight until the test is over, which is for sure going to be a struggle. I have to eat breakfast and a snack every morning! I will go to the lab at 8 a.m. and have my blood drawn to show my fasting blood sugar level. Then, I will drink the sugary drink, though this time it is even sweeter. The technician will then take a sample of my blood at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., and 11 a.m. Just ask me how excited I am to have my blood drawn FOUR times after nearly fainting last time. YIKES! I'm not worried about failing the next one...it's just a pain to have it done!

I decided to just take the whole day off on Wednesday. I'll be getting the tests done all morning, and then I'm taking the afternoon to do some shopping and to run some errands. I'm helping some friends throw a bridal shower Saturday late afternoon after my baby shower earlier in the day, so I definitely have some things that I can work on Wednesday. It will be nice to have a break from work for the day! Stay tuned for the final results on Thursday...

1 comment:

ktill3 said...

good luck amy. take a protein filled snack to have after your last blood draw. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS