12.11.2007

Prenatal Appointment Today!

Ryan and I had our 16 week prenatal appointment today, which was fun! Of course my favorite part was hearing the baby's heart beating. Our midwife found it right away, and it was truly music to my ears! It registered at 146 beats per minute, which if you remember is quite a bit slower than last time. The past two times it has been 170 and 166. Anyway, it is so fun to hear the baby and to know that it's growing and doing well!

Our midwife went over the results of our ultrasound from 4 weeks ago. The baby was measuring really well! There can be an error of one week when they do their measurements, and we were just one day short of 12 weeks. Anyway, they take lots of measurements, but there are three main ones that they do...something to do with the head, the femur, and I can't remember the last one. Anyway, the baby's three measurements were 12 weeks, 6 days on one, 12 weeks 6 days on the second, and 12 weeks, 5 days on the third. Our midwife said that she doesn't usually see numbers so similar, so I guess that proves that our baby is perfect (just kidding of course). :) All of the other measurements looked great with one exception. I guess that there are two layers that surround the amniotic sac, and there was a an area where those two membranes had separated. That type of separation is usually resolved between 14 and 16 weeks, so we have to have an ultrasound done at 16 weeks to see if that gap closed. I'm honestly not going to worry myself over it because there just isn't anything I can do. It's kind of in God's hands at this point! If they find that it has not closed, we will just have to learn the next course of action. We'll just take it as it comes! That's what parenting is all about, right, rolling with the punches?

FYI: here is some information about healthy weight gain during pregnancy...taken straight from www.webmd.com:

A woman of average weight before pregnancy should gain 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. Underweight women should gain 28-40 pounds during pregnancy. Overweight women may need to gain only 15-25 pounds during pregnancy. You may need to gain more or less weight, depending on what your health care provider recommends. In general, you should gain about 2 to 4 pounds during your first three months of pregnancy and 1 pound a week for the remainder of your pregnancy. If you are expecting twins you should gain 35 to 45 pounds during your pregnancy. This would be an average of 1 ½ pounds per week after the usual weight gain in the first three months.
I gained 3/4 of a pound during my first trimester and have gained 6 1/4 lbs. since my 11 week appointment, which again was 5 weeks ago. So, that's a grand total of 7 pounds when I should be between 6-8 pounds at this point in time and is almost a pound a week gain. I feel pretty good about that! Now I'm not going to lie...when I saw my current weight on the scale, I had to laugh because I have never seen that number before! But again, I know that this is all part of bringing a new life into this world, so I feel really good about it. :) Now that the weight is coming on, I feel more motivated to really start exercising. It will give me something else to blog about!

The last thing to mention is that our midwife is leaving...she's taking a new job in Virginia because her private practice just didn't take off like she had hoped. Did you know that you are not billed for prenatal appointments or the like until after the baby is born?? I had no clue! I talked to a girlfriend who goes to an OBGYN tonight, and she said that she had to pay a co-pay at her first appointment and has not paid a thing since. Very interesting! I can see how only having 1-2 births per month would make it hard to keep your practice going. So, we are going to see how the results of this ultrasound go on Monday (where we will NOT find out the sex of the baby even though we could totally find out! AHHH!), and then we'll make a decision about what to do next. I have a second midwife in mind who we could try, but if it seems like there will be more medical situations to consider (due to this separation in membranes), it may be best for us to work with an OBGYN. We will just see! Whatever is meant to be will be. I can't really explain it, but I never actually thought Betsy would deliver our baby. I just couldn't get that visual in my head, so when she said, "I have some news," I guessed it right away that she was leaving. Call me psychic! Call me brilliant! I am just excited to see where this journey takes us next.

Any prayers and thoughts you have in the next week are greatly appreciated! Hopefully little Babell's amniotic sac is all fine...I'm sure it will be. :) Remember, there is power in positive thinking!

In order to not post again tomorrow, here is an update about what will be happening with the baby at 16 weeks:

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-16-weeks_1105.bc

Neat, huh? You can really feel how hard my uterus is getting, too, which is really neat. Since I'm not 100% sure that I've felt the baby moving, it's neat to feel and see changes in my body. It makes everything so real!

2 comments:

michi.yamano said...

I gained 42 lbs and only need to lose 9 more! Woo-hoo. Doubt I ever will, but the price for these love handles is one cute little boy! Eat up baby!

Nominate Mathematics and Science Teachers TODAY! said...

BABE-ELL!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS