11.08.2007

A scary day with a happy ending!

So I really want to preface this blog with saying that everything is ok! I am fine. The baby is fine. Ryan is fine. :) With that said, I woke up this morning about 3 a.m. to do my nightly routine of going to the bathroom. This is completely new for me, but I fall back to sleep right away...so no big deal. Anyway, I noticed that I was spotting and started getting worried. Now I know that spotting can be completely normal, especially during the first trimester; regardless, I was still worried! I did some reading online that said miscarriages are usually accompanied by spotting along with cramping, which I did not have. I felt hopeful about that, but still I wanted to be sure. We called our midwife this morning and made an appointment for 11:30 a.m. She told us that after hearing the heartbeat, a miscarriage would be pretty rare...that is happens...but rarely. It was taking a few minutes to find the baby's heartbeat, and I was beginning to think we wouldn't hear it. If so, the next step was to get an ultrasound done. Then...SHE FOUND IT!!! It was so fast "woop woop, woop woop, woop woop!" I think my heart must have stopped. Both Ryan and I smiled so big and our eyes were huge. The heartbeat was 170 beats per minute (120-180 is considered normal), which everyone will tell us now that we are having a girl. An old wives tale says that anything below 140 is a boy, and anything over 140 is a girl, but remember friends, they don't call them wives tales for nothing! :) So, Babell is going on strong, and we are that much more excited to meet him/her in May.

We went ahead and ordered that ultrasound today anyway, again to rule out twins. Plus, I would LOVE to see the baby and hear its heartbeat, especially after our little scare. It is scheduled for next Tuesday at 3:30 p.m., so be ready for another blog that day. We will try to scan in the ultrasound pictures to post, as well!


Last night Ryan and I were trying to guess how much weight I had gained. He thought 4 pounds, and I thought 2...maybe 3 pounds. Well, I weighed in today with only three-fourths of a pound gain!!! As soon as our midwife announced that, Ryan was like, "I'm in trouble!" Haha!! It was funny. With the way my belly is sticking out, I would have guessed more, too. Our midwife thinks that my placenta is in the front of my body, so maybe that has something to do with it??? Who knows. I'm just glad to know that things are ok!

We found out that my blood type is B negative. Here is a pretty cool website to help see what your blood type can be if your parents' blood type are Y or Z.

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Human_Bio/problem_sets/blood_types/Intro.html

For example, my parents' blood types are AB+ and O+, so I can be A or B, + or - . Neat, huh? Well, since I'm negative, we have to see if Ryan is + or negative. If he is positive, I will have to get shots of Rhogam now, at 28 weeks, and after the baby is born. Ryan got his blood type tested today, so we should know soon what we need to do. For more information, you can check out this website:

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/rhfactor/a/aa050601a.htm

This weekend I'm heading down to Madison to see some of my best friends from Hanover. I can't wait! I wasn't feeling my best on Tuesday or Wednesday (sore throat, sneezing, etc.), but I'm doing pretty well now. I am looking forward to a weekend of relaxation, time with friends, time at home, extra sleep, and a great church service on Sunday. Until next time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS